Why do I feel so bad?

Hi, Mommies! I need some support and some ideas. My DS is just over 4 mos, and I feel bad! He's only got 3 or 4 toys, and I don't see having the extra cash in the next month to buy him more.

He's lived without the swing, high chair, walker, and toys so far, but he's getting to the point where he wants to stand up, sit at the table with us, and play... he's also getting bored with the toys he's got and will throw them down.

Why do I feel so crummy? I don't want him to be bored, and we read, play, go for walks, etc, but I just feel like there's more I could do for him! Help!

matobe

Asked by matobe at 2:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your doing the best you can do.... on yahoo there is a great group called FREECYCLE..... ppl offer items they no longer need and everything is free... maybe you could join that and look for new things for him!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• this is a good question,i used stuff around the house and this works great becouse its kind of more educational,like a toliet paper roll,a plastic spoon,put something in one of his bottles to make it rattle,stuff with textures like mabe a shirt,give him pictures of u and dad to look at,old phones?anythign safe of course.if i think of more ill let u know
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• measuring cups can be used as stacking cups. But also, what about the Salvation Army or Goodwill? Also, try groups such as "With Love, from Jesus" or the local Pregnancy Life Care Center. Ask your local library if they do any book giveaways - never too early to start a library for baby. Craigslist has a free section as well.

Put a Wanted listing on Craigslist and explain your situation, I know if you lived anywhere near me, I have some stuff I would be willing to pass on.
    You shouldn't feel bad - truly, my son usually likes the boxes from his toys more than he likes the toys themselves. And you're doing what you can. Spending time with your baby is more important than anything you could buy for him!

Answer by missanc at 3:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I just feel bad, because DH lost his job when the company he worked for went out, and we're doing everything we can to scramble finding work, meanwhile trying to maintain a little bit in savings for the ultimate emergency... DS has a little chair that semi-sits him up, but it's too big to put in a chair, and not tall enough to see over the table for dinner, so he hollers until DH or I pick him up to our lap. I have laminated pictures and word-cards I made from index cards, but I wanted the best of everything for the lil booger! How can I help myself not feel so bad?
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Old magazines! He will love to make the pages crumple. He doesn't have to have a bunch of toys, every day stuff is fun too! My son has lots of toys and he still gets bored. Don't feel bad! Yard sales and secondhand shops are a wonderful idea, as is Freecycle. Or if you have a friend with an older child who may have some hand-me-downs she can give/lend you. Best of luck to you
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 3:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• FREECYCLE. CRAIGSLIST,GARAGE SALES.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• You can get toys for $.25 to $.50 at most thrift stores. My daughter never really gets "new" toys. Just "new to her" toys. And Freecycle ROCKS!!!!!
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 3:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I've found that my little 2 month old loves playing with the links(?) they have different colors and textures and you can hang them from things and make them different lengths. we had a yard sale in the neighborhood and i got an activity mat for 50 cents... check that out as well... :)
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 4:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2009