Please help i know alot of people go through this!

My son is 6months old and is growing fast just like your typical baby! He eats cereal in the morning with a stage one fruit and the same at night with a vegetable for dinner. He also gets formula through out the day when he wants it. Anyways my fiancee thinks that i feed him formula to much and explained this to his family. They told him he should be eating mashed potatoes and stuff like that by now. I disagree the doctor told me no table food at his last visit and so of course im going to listen to her. He thinks we should over ride that and listen to them because hey he turned out fine and they fed him those things! He always takes there advice when it comes to our son and never listens to anything i say and its putting tension on our relationship. I may be a new mom but i do my fair share of reading up and asking questions at the doctors. Its driving me insane what should i do?

bittersweetqt

Asked by bittersweetqt at 2:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stand your ground... YOU will know what your baby needs !!! as will the Dr... he is daddy and they know best sometimes too (= Remind him there is NO rush !!! your baby needs time to adjust to all the new foods... especially when it comes time for big people food... Every grandparent has done this before and will think their way is best, be nice ... you have to enjoy their company for a long time (= Tell them your going to try to work other foods in gradually,,, but that your little one is NOT ready for big people foods yet , but will be soon enough (= Good luck (=
    SweetAkMom

Answer by SweetAkMom at 2:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i gess im old fasion,weve always fe our kids table food that young,if he can sit unsuppoerted then its time to let him try new things.thats how hey learn texteures and different taste.its not fun eating the same things over and over,but its ur baby im just telling u how we do it here.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• follow your instincts.. but remember every pedi has different views as well... when my sons were 6 months they were getting more baby food than your child.. but that was jsut me. if you dont want to do what his family says then sit down with him and explain your self.. without getting mad or yelling.. hopefully he will get what you are saying
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• 6 months is pretty early for table food. I know people have different opinions about this, but all the research I found says that prolonging table food to babies is beneficial to their digestion development. I personally waited 5 1/2 months before introducing anything but breastmilk to my son.
    Sounds like your baby is doing fine. I'd most definitely continue the formula, though, since it is their main source of nutrition until they are a year old. If you replace it too much with solid food the baby will probably get constipated.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• He cant sit without support yet and thats why i think she doesnt want him eating those things yet. I know alot of people do it and it wont necessarily hurt him im just like to follow what the pedi says because its easier for me. How much were your feeding your sons at 6months 2cuteboysrmine just like to see what other parents were doing. Pedi didnt say how much i should actually be feeding him so i was just going to start giving him food 3x a day since hes bigger now.
    bittersweetqt

Answer by bittersweetqt at 2:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009