Epidural worries

In 2006 I gave birth to my first baby. I had an epidual and it was wonderful. However, the next day I woke up with a spinal headache = the worst pain i've ever felt in my life. Ever since then, I've had tenderness on my lower back where the epidrual was inserted. I'm worried now that I'm pregnant again, what if I can't get an epidural this time? What if I have permant damage from the first time? Has anyone had a similar problem?

hannahfoy

Asked by hannahfoy at 3:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have not heard of that. I would def talk to your doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Most women are completely unaware of how dangerous an epidural can be. Do your own research before discussing this with your doctor; some women get those awful headaches for a year!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• OH yeah, I can't even count how many horror stories I've seen/heard of/read/witnessed first hand regarding epidurals & spinals. I opted for general anesthesia for all 3 of my Csections because of them.

The tenderness you have is most likely nerve damage. As long as it stays localized & doesn't spread, consider yourself lucky. The headache you describe sounds more like the results of a spinal - but if you're sure you had an epi, I don't know.... maybe they went too far with it.

They'll most likely still be happy to give you another one (believe me, they were pretty determined to give me one for my sections, too LOL).
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Spinal headaches and nerve damage are quite common epidural side effects.

Look into other coping mechanisms. Many Many Many women go without the epidural or drugs. You want to avoid induction because they create extremely painful contractions that don't give you a break. Also natural contractions have a period of rest AND also stimulate your natural endorphins (a natural euphoric pain killer).

Look into Birthing Through Hypnosis (really just self meditation, focus and relaxation). http://www.birthingthroughhypnosis.com/ (most cost effective). There are other programs like hypnobabies and hypnobirthing. Take your pick.

Also, look into positional changes, birth balls, water, massage, and a support companion like a doula (having someone there to be your advocate REDUCES stress, stress increases pain). Also, look into www.spinningbabies.com for encouraging good baby position.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i would look into other ways to manage the pain. i didn't have an epidural so my labor was pretty painful but never so bad that i was tempted to get an epidural. and then i didn't have to risk the bad stuff that can come along with an epidural--you know from experience! i'm sure you would prefer one day of labor pain to days (or longer?) of spinal headache. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• 4 kids no epidurals. no pain meds at all. education and knowledge may be your best defense against pain. Bradley method ?
    GotteAClue

Answer by GotteAClue at 4:36 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• There are a lot of ways of dealing with the pain of labor, an epidural is just one of them. You do not need an epidural at all. I agree with the pp education and knowledge are the best ways of dealing with the pain.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:26 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Ok thanks for absolutely no help at all. I WANT an epidural. Try pushing a ten pound baby out of you with your only pain management being a person i don't know "reducing stress" or better yet "hypnosis!!!!" We live in the 21st century and we should utilize every medical breakthrough we can! Why be in agonizing pain if you do not have to!!!
    hannahfoy

Answer by hannahfoy at 3:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2009