Too much?

Driving through town today I noticed a hair salon in the area where all of the businesses are hispanic and all of the signs are written in Spanish. The changeable sign on the wall said "We speak English!!!!" It's also the only business for 3 blocks that doesn't have any Spanish on any of the signs.

Good sales tactic or too politically incorrect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This ia America all business signs should be in English. If I go to Italy they do not have everything in English just for me.......In France they speak french, Italy Italian, spain spanish....etc etc In america we speak English !!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I think one way to cut governmental spending is to make English the national language and then everything can be printed in English and stop having to have everything translated into 25 languages and printed up in each one. When my ancestors came to America they had to learn to speak English and navigate in an English-speaking country. Judging from their pictures they weren't the sharpest blades in the box (!) so if they could do it, so could others.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The U.S. does not have a national language. We have Spanish speaking people here. I've been all over Europe and there are signs, menus and pricelists in English in even the most remote locations. Everyone has to bend a little. Not everyone speaks the same language.

goddessmonica

Answer by goddessmonica at 4:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Even though it'd be nice to have the national language of English (and it can get quite frustrating at times!), it's just not a reality. I have to agree with goddessmonica on this one.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 4:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I doubt the business put that on their sign just to "rub it in" anyone's face...I'm sure they did it to draw in people who are not Hispanic! It's a business tactic. If all the english-speaking folks are passing this whole strip by because they're assuming that ALL of the businesses are for Hispanics, then I'm sure this English-speaking business has been suffering. They're probably just trying to let the non-Mexican folks know they're there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• "The U.S. does not have a national language. We have Spanish speaking people here. I've been all over Europe and there are signs, menus and pricelists in English in even the most remote locations. Everyone has to bend a little. Not everyone speaks the same language"

What part of Europe did you visit?

I don't know. I'm torn on this issue. If I went to a foriegn country, I would make an effort to learn to speak and read the language. I wouldn't expect the whole freakin country to put signs up in english and require workers to speak english. but that's just my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I agree with anon :55. It's a business tactic. If you run a business in an area that is predominately Spanish speaking and you speak English then you want to announce that. I don't go to any of the shops a few blocks from here because the signs are all in Spanish and I speak very little Spanish. But if just one of those businesses announced that they speak English I would go.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It's their business and their sign. I like my freedom of speech, so let's let them keep theirs.

Is it slightly annoying? Yep.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It's a private business, they can put their signs in whatever language they want. I live in a mainly Hispanic neighborhood so most of the signs are in Spanish with smaller signs with translations. A lot of the smaller shops don't even have people that speak English working there. We also have shops with signs in Polish (our 2nd biggest nationality in the area). I don't know a word of Polish so I have no clue what the signs say or if the people inside even speak English.
    As an English speaker I'd probably go to the store that says they speak English because it's a comfort things just as the Spanish speaking people are going to frequent the places that they know have Spanish speaking people working there. I guess because I grew up this way it doesn't bother me. I mean, if I go to Chinatown I expect the signs to be in Chinese and hopefully some of the employees speak some English but I don't expect it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009