My 2 year old needs his tonsils and adenoids out... Do any of you have feedback to how your child did during the same procedure?

My only fear is putting my son to sleep, and also how to get fluid into him after he gets home.

5Redroses

Asked by 5Redroses at 3:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Health

• I heard that it's easier on a child. The recovery is quicker. I'm not sure though, my mom had this procedure and she was in pain for weeks. Ask the Dr. about what he can eat and how. Good Luck
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My son was 3 when he had the same procedure done. It went much easier than I expected! The only issue was when he was coming out of the anestesia he was confused and cried for 45 minutes! Once we got home he was able to eat soft, cool foods and drink juice or water. The very next day he was up and eating as normal like nothing ever happened! I was like you and was so scared about him being put to sleep, but it was over in no time.

Good Luck!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 3:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Its not bad at all. I had it done when I was 5 and my dd had it done at 4. I stayed with her until the nurse came to take her back and she went with her willingly. They can allow you to stay until they go to sleep sometimes so that they dont freak out. Two is quite young to be separated from mom. The anesthesia is usually mild and they are only asleep for about 45 min. When they wake up, the throat is usually sore and they dont talk or they might have a screeching sound to their cry, but they send them home with Tylenol #3 for pain. My dd slept the rest of the afternoon and the next day, she was up and going and it was like nothing ever happened. Her breathing was 100% better and there was no more snoring or sleep apnea. She hasnt had a problem since and shes 11 now. If you need to get it done, do it by the time they ar 5 ish. Its so much easier. Its really not a big deal. Good luck to you and your child.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It really isn't that bad. My son didn't like cold things after the surgery. Room temp was the best for him. NO straws for about a week. Run a vaporizer while he sleeps to keep his throat from drying out. Lots of soft foods for about a week or so. Ice cream, popsicles, pudding, jello. NOTHING red or purple either.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2009