what would you say if your husband want's to go into the Air Force?

I am 24 and have 4 children ages 6 and under.My husband has been talking about going into the Air force because he can't find a good paying job.I don't want him to go.I know there is good money in it and health insurance,but I don't want to move around from place to place and I don't want to be away from him at long periods at a time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• yeah thats a tough one. i dont know what i would say. sometimes i feel like telling my SO to join the army or something because he cant find a good job either and has no insurance, but then i think about if i had to be a way from him, or he got hurt, or the government owning him and i change my mind. just tell him you really dont want him too, youd rather have him then money and so would the kids. tell him to go back to school, that will help him find a better job. try ur local community college & get financial aid.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:46 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Let him do it. My husband is in the army and it's the best thing we've got going for us. He even had to be deployed before they were shortened to 12 months max, so he was away from us for 15 months. He missed out on the whole pregnancy with my 2nd child (his 1st). Yes, it's hard, but he doesn't disappear off of the planet, you still get to talk to him by phone/webcam/email. The benefits outweigh the risks in my opinion. I love my handsome soldier :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I would support my husband.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I say let him. I was in the Navy, I'm married to a Marine, and it's all doable, and probably the most stable thing out there. Plus, they'll pay for more college for him so that if he decides to get out he'll have even more prospects.

Really, the Air Force is the safest branch. They do jack shit, to be honest. They have the least dress regulations and weight regulations. They don't deploy for more than 6 months like most other branches who deploy for 12 or more months at a time. And when they're out on deployment, they're sitting in Kuwait where it's safe.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 4:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• nowadays a man has to do whatever he thinks is right to provide for his family. The Air Force is close knit so even if you are alone you will not be "alone". I'm sure other branches of services have support groups but AF rocks. I'm proud of him. I hope you are too

Answer by admckenzie at 4:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• You don't always move around from place to place. If your husband picked a job that is only stationed in a few places, you could stay in the same place for a long time.

My husband is in the Army and we spent 5 years in one place, we could have stayed longer if we wanted to. And he is in a job that we could go almost anywhere with. Leaving was our choice. We love to move around and explore new places. We actually love that part.

As far as deployments, Air Force is known to have the shortest ones. But even though the Army has the longest ones, we've managed to get through 3 of them. You just take it day by day and get through it. And you really don't realize how strong you are until you've been through those kinds of separations.

And yes, every branch has family support groups. In the Army their called FRG's "Family Readiness Group".

I know it isn't for everyone, but I love this life.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Being a military wife is the hardest thing in the world. Its a 2 way street, some women are cut out for it, some arent. I WAS a military wife for several yrs, and it wasnt what I wanted in a life or in a marriage. I was married for 7 yr, basically to myself, there was NO ONE ever around to help me, even when I needed major surgery. The military changes some people into someone you dont even know anymore. I was a single mom, but married to someone who was gone ALL the time. Im sure it isnt like that for everyone, but if you dont want it and dont want to be a military wife then I would explain to him that you didnt get married to be a single parent for most of the time. There are other jobs out there, and if you feel strongly about him not joining I would make that very clear. If not, your marriage could end up in trouble before you even know what happened. FRG's dont always work like they should
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 5:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I would tell him, you should have went into the Air Force before you had kids, because it's more important that our kids have their dad around every day.
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2009