summer homeschooling-----

I send my kids to public school during the school year, but I was wondering if there are any summer school classes maybe one or two language, art or social studies, or science class for next summer?? To keep them busy?? what kind of companies are out there to order from??

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 3:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in

• Your already worried about next summer?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I dont know about homeschooling, but for my dd I try to have her read for 30 mins/ day. She used to do worksheets but we didnt this summer. I also was thinking summer would be a good time for art, guitar or piano lessons since she had free time during the day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• no i am not worried about next summer i am looking into all the options and prices and making an informed disccusion, and as far as reading, on her own she is pretends, that is why i have to read the books and make up quizzes, i just want to know my options, I found a french and spanish for my third grader but they are $90 a piece, i'll have to save up!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 4:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• For general stuff, the Summer Bridge books are good. They have a page a day that's a review of something they learned the previous year. The book series "What your ___ Grader Should Know" is excellent as well to let you know what your child shoud be learning in school --- then you can fill in the gaps, if need-be.

Science & history museums often offer day camps.

Buddhist temples often offer Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or Vietnamese language classes.

Most music stores offer classes in piano, guitar, etc.

If you're looking to order materials to use at home, just google homeschool supplies.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Call the library and ask if they've got anything appropriate. The librarians here are wonderful at picking out books for the right age group and subject.

Keep checking around. If you find the program you want, check half.com or eBay to find discounted items. McGraw Hill and Walch often have workbooks for a very inexpensive price.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• There should be some local camps and things. I live in Raleigh NC and we have 3 universities and multiple colleges that run all kinds of classes and things for kids of all ages - check into your local higher education locations. Also - possibly your Parks and Recreation Department might have some science programs - I know ours does. Lastly, try a local Teach Me store for great workbooks or other educational ideas.

Answer by missanc at 10:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Our city always has those type of community classes - both during the school year and during the summer. They offer science stuff, math stuff, general stuff, fine arts, and others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The Center for Talent Development at Northwestern University offers summer and Saturday enrichment classes for academically advanced children:

http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/

Answer by rkoloms at 12:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2009