baby size

how do you know if your baby will be small or big?

cuz my mom keeps saying he looks like he will be big

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can't tell. And ultrasound predictions are notoriously inaccurate. Weight is more than size. Weight is a combination of muscle, fat, water, frame size (bones structure), and organs. That's why an athlete that looks medium sized can actually be a heavy weight, while a person who looks a bit chunky can weigh less.

And contrary to the skewed vision people have of baby size (weight wise)... 5-6.5 pounds is small. 7 - 9.5 pounds is average. 10 - 11.5 pounds is large

However, some babies can weigh on the larger end of the scale but are built like slim torpedos and look quite small. A baby that weighs less can have more "chunk" and looks quite large.

Head circumference after head molding also makes a big difference during delivery.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• There isn't a for sure way to tell. My doctor told me my son would be around 7lbs but he was actually 10lbs.
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• ahhh~ moms, lol! They know everything, eh? ;-)
    No, you can not tell by looking at someone how big their baby inside is.
    Some women carry way out front and look "bigger" and other moms look 5 months at term...
    An experienced pair of hands might be able to come pretty close by palpating~ but you just can't know if their estimate was accurate until after delivery.

I do notice that people who are close to the pregnant woman and not accustomed to seeing her belly so large tend to make a lot of "big!" comments. And for some reason, lol, we're programmed to consider their observations!
    ;-P
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:27 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• There is no reliable way to determine a babies size until it is born.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2009