what can i give my 8 month old baby for dry cough?

andreasmom07

Asked by andreasmom07 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• breast milk?
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I don't think they really start giving cough suppressants and decongestants until they are older. Go to your local pharmacy and check with them or since it's after hours you could call your peds Er. number. I know it's not an emergency but it is there for you to use. You insurance may have a nurses line also. check on the back of the card. Other than that I'm not sure what to tell you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Humidifier. The FDA recommends you should not give over the counter medicines to children under six. If it last more than a day or two or you hear wheezing, call your pediatrician.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 9:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I second the humidifier don't ever give a young child anything for cough.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• an 8 month old is too young for anything, nor would anything work for a dry cough in any age. Decongestants and suppressants work on mucousy coughs. So you cant really do anything to help her
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Cool mist humidifier! Does your baby sound like a rattle when he/she breathes? My son has had to be on Xopenex and Pulmicort, both are breathing treatments used with a nebulizer. Call your pediatrician if it gets worse!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 11:53 AM on Aug. 19, 2009