Has anyone posted an adoption ad on line?

How safe is it to place an ad to adopt a newborn child on the internet? Is is legal and what site should I use? I've tried newspaper ads and NOTHING is happening.

kyank

Asked by kyank at 4:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Adoption

• I believe that some States don't allow you to advertise to look for a baby. But there are some websites such as Parent Profiles where you pay a fee and they do the advertising for you. I have not posted an ad online, though.
    hollyanne31

Answer by hollyanne31 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• In order to protect yourself from scammers, or to protect an expectant woman who may not know all of her options & rights yet, you might think about working with an attorney or adoption agency. I know that you are probably trying to save the huge fees involved in agencies, but you could lose just as much to someone on the internet who says they are pregnant & may not be, or that they have chosen you & are taking money from you & several other couples. It has happened. So please be aware. We have chosen to adopt from foster care (no fees plus they educate you on loss/grieving of family members) & while it was intimidating at first, now that we are just a few months away from finalization, it has been SO worth it. We were placed with a newborn who was reunited with family. We are adopting a child that we have had since he was 6 months. It's been almost 2 years, but would've been the same or more with an agency, I think.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• PS-You can request that you want to care for infants only.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Have you posted an link on cafemom. It is not super common but there have definately been matches in many of the groups here.

I did go through an agency who put my profile online for me, but in my time here at cafemom, I was invited by at least 4 potential bmoms to show my profile and discuss if I was what they were looking for.

As the prior poster mentioned, Foster Care is one option to

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I personally wouldnt have given my child up for adoption to a family that posted an ad for a baby... after all, it isnt a puppy or something that can just be returned if it doesnt work out! I am giving my unborn child up for adoption but I went with a family through an adoption agency that had the financial resources to do whatever they needed to in order to have a child placed with them. Plus, they have had extensive background checks and health/mental evaluations done on them.

I would advice you to contact and adoption agency or an adoption attorney... both can help you
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I didn't post looking for a baby. I posted as someone that was adopted by their stepfather, but was looking for her birth father.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Jaydin, I agree with you!

Prospective adoptive parents....I know that you are told to "get the message out" as broadly as possible that you are interested and willing to accept a child into your family through adoption. However, please consider that there is a fine line between looking desperate and looking like a diligent prospective parent.

If you cringe at personal ads in papers looking to "hook up" with a potential future mate - then consider that perhaps ads posted in papers may come off that way as well.

As much as agencies have their own faults and limitations in other areas, when it comes to protecting the interests of Prospective Adoptive Parents it is one of the safest routes to go.
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't recommend it. I have a friend who works for Adoption Answer. They work with birthmothers and find adoptive familes for them. And I do Adoption Profiles for the adoptive families. I would love to talk to you more about it.
    proadoption

Answer by proadoption at 5:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2010