anybody had to get a speech therapist to help with feeding issues?

My almost 11 month old has refused solid foods now since she was about 6 months old. The longest streak I've had with feeding her solids is about 2 days since I started feeding her baby food when she was 5 months old. She seemed to like certain things like squash and sweet potatoes, and I would get excited but then 2 days later she was refusing it again. I've tried everything imaginable. (cheese, goldfish, pasta, bananas, mashed potatoes, green beans etc..) She only eats formula and gerber graduates puffs, cheese puffs and yogurt bites. It's been very frustrating. Just wondering if I'm alone. Her doctor has referred me to a speech therapist and hoping it works.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• While my children had issues with speech, they didn't have issues with feeding/swallowing. HOWEVER, the speech therapist that we had through the state's Early Intervention (0-3 years) program was ALSO a feeding therapist--speech and feeding both relate to how the tongue is utilized.

I recommend asking your pediatrician to give you the name of the county's program coordinator for the Early Intervention program. This is a FREE home-based program!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2009