Do you think this statement is true?

I've heard this several times before and was just wondering what others opinions were.

"There are no atheists in foxholes".

(The statement, "There are no atheists in foxholes," is an aphorism used to argue that in times of extreme stress or fear, such as when participating in warfare, all people will believe in or hope for a higher power.)

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Obviously this statement isn't meant to exclusively be about people in foxholes. A plane crashing, your child becoming severely ill, things like that as the description puts it "times of extreme stress or fear" can and do cause some people to reach out to God or some other higher power for help or support. At the same time situations like that can cause other people to question their faith and how a loving God can "let" those things happen in the first place. So IMO, you can't answer this by saying it's absolutely true or absolutely false.

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I believe it!

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Not at all

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I believe it's true.

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I believe for most it is true. Of course there are the true non-believers who will stick to their claim all the way to the gates of hell.

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I agree

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• if one truly does not believe in God even a fire fight in a fox hole will not change their mind just as if one believes no hardship imaginable will stop you from believing

Answer by mamak57 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My dad his duty in Vietnam (was there for almost 3 years) and it was because of what he saw there and almost being killed that he is agnostic today. He sure didn't find god in a foxhole and neither did the non-believers he fought with. If anything their atheism/agnosticism was enforced.

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Nope. I would be more inclined to NOT believe if I were backed into a corner and about to die. When I was in a car wreck, I wasn't praying to any deity. When my fiance's mom died, I wasn't thinking she was in heaven.

Some of us hold tighter to our beliefs than others.

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• everyone believes when they drink too much and theyre laying on the floor spinning saying "god i swear i will never drink again...."

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2009