car seat question....

Ok, so I'm not sure about this, but hoping others out there have dealt with this. Right now we have 2 car seats (both given to us) and 3 bases so that we can interchange them between our cars. However these are infant seats and they'll only go up till he's 22 pounds and 29 inches. He's 14.5 pounds and 24 inches now at only 10 weeks so I'm thinking we'll hit that 22 pounds/29 inches sometime soon. From what I've seen of convertable seats, they don't seem to have a separate base?? Is that true?? Are we going to have to get separate seats for each car?? Thanks for all help!!!

amw529

Asked by amw529 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son has an Evenflo Triumph Advance it was $140 at WalMart, rear faces up to 35lbs (which he will do) and forward faces up to 50lbs in a harness. The 3 in 1 seats are crap. You need a rear facing seat, that will rear face for a while. I recommend The First Years True Fit. Rear faces to 35lbs, Forward Faces to 65lbs. It runs around $180, but is a VERY GOOD AND SAFE seat. I have a spare seat that is a cosco scenera. It runs around $50 and rear faces to 35lbs. You could also get a Graco Myride65 which rear faces to 40lbs and forward faces to 65lbs. This seat will last you a while so its well worth the $150 for it. I will probably get my son one of these.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• they typically don't interchange. they're similar to a booster where you put them in and leave them in, or if you take it out it actually has to be reinstalled. They don't just pop in and out. you'll probably just want to get one for each car he'll spend alot of time in. hope this helped.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 4:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I have a chicco keyfit 30 that fits into those bases and lasts up to 30lbs. Hopefully some other moms can help you out - I only know about the one I have...good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Yes you will have to. I have four carseats-two for my car and 2 for DH! I would recommend getting the kind that will be a booster seat too!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• nope they dont have a base you will either ahve to get one for each car or move the seat every time you move cars.....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 4:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• You will need new seats. Try the Cosco Scenera, it RFs for a while and is only $50.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i had this problem. my son outgrew the infant seat at about 5 months. but we just bought a new seat and move it around. buying two wouldve cost us toooo much!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• my ds is about to outgrow his bucket ( thats what ic alled the infant carseast) so we are gonna by him a carseat that can rf up to 35lbs.. my dd is 2 yrs and 29 lbs and she has the cosco scenera which rf up to 35lbs
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• You're right. Convertible seats are not interchangeable like infant seats, but keep in mind that your child's weight, while it seems to be skyrocketing right now, will likely hit a plateau soon, and it can be quite some time before he hits the weight limit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Most convertibles do not come with "pop-in" bases. There are a few on the market but they are very expensive $300+ and the bases are $80+ for each base. Most of kids went from rear facing in their infant seat to forward facing in a fwd only carseat. My kids were big babies too, their weight seemed to level off at about 4 or 5 mos and then a slow steady climb to the "too big to face rear" size.
    One suggestion.... ask your friends, family, and friends of friends to let you "try" to install and buckle your child or their child into their carseat before you purchase your own. Some stores have displays and will let you try to install the seat "try it before you buy it". All you have to do is ask. Many times you can find this at the pricey baby specialty stores. That doesn't mean you have to buy it there. Lol! If you are afraid you might be recognized go out of town!
    GotteAClue

Answer by GotteAClue at 12:20 AM on Aug. 18, 2009