What do you think about naming your child the same name that one of your relative's has named their kid?

Like I have a cousin I NEVER see and have never even seen his kids...but his daughter's name is Hailey and I've always liked that name but I've always been weird about naming a kid after someone I know or a relative, but would it be weird eventhough I don't see them or have anything to do with that relative?

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• that's fine

Answer by staciandababy at 4:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• some distant cousin-that doesn't matter, now if it was a sisters or brothers kid-that would be odd.

Answer by JnCV at 4:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I would name your child whatever you like. There are only about a million more Hailey's out there, what is one more? They don't own the name. My friend who is also pregnant is mad that I'm naming my baby Cooper because she had considered it as a middle name. I'm thinkin' "Who gives $hit?" I told her I don't even care if she named him that as a FIRST name. name your daughter that if you want to.

Answer by StefanieN84 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• In that situation I think it would be fine. Like someone else said, I wouldn't want to use the same name as a close relative, but someone you never see should be fine.

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• it should be fine, also, maybe a different spelling too, that would set them apart

Answer by sylvia-ann at 4:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Agree with sylvia-ann. Change the way the name is spelled if you are not attached to it. However, I know what you mean, dh wanted to name dd by the same name as a relative. We found a name we liked better.

Answer by momsc at 4:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i wouldn't do it bc then your family will always bring up that baby or say you copied them. immature i know, but it will happen

Answer by princessbeth79 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't.

Answer by MommyKKay at 5:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Na. There are so many names out there so I don't think that I would do it even if it was a second cousin or something.

Answer by momthruivf at 5:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2009