How many have had a positive reading on the second trimester screening and everything really was ok??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Which second trimester screening? The gestational diabetes one? If that's what you're referring to, mine was negative but I've known women who tested positive and didn't actually have it.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 4:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• There are many false positives on this reading. Usually if your test comes out pos, then they do an ultrasound to check if everything is okay. I am assuming youre talking about the AFP testing? Just keep yourself positive and wait until you get some answers. Dont freak out. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Yes I'm talking about the AFP test. They are making me freak out they called me and told me about the results then was like he wants u to come in tomorrow to see him. I'm like freaked out.
    ped_nurse2301

Answer by ped_nurse2301 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Those tests have a very high false positive rate:

The controversy in these tests lies in many places. One of which is the accuracy of the screenings. While some claim that they have only a 5% "false positive" rate, most research finds that there are 80+% rate of positive tests while the baby is unaffected. The false positive rates depend on many factors, including appropriate gestational age, maternal age, weight and the presence of diabetes.

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/afp/a/afptesting.htm
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• This is why I personally don't recommend these tests, way to often they are false positive or only % possabilities. This causes more stress in mom than needed. Take a deep breath and just try and enjoy the rest of your pregancy.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 5:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009