Nap time/bed time...

My 21 month old son was going to sleep like a champ in his big boy bed, then all of a sudden laying down for nap and going to bed have become impossible. He is always in and out of bed. We have tried the stern emotionless putting him back in bed as soon as he gets out of it method, but he thinks that is a game to see if he can get back in bed before we get to him. Already been the spanking route, the yelling route and the taking things away route. Neither worked. What is left to try besides duct taping him to the bed?

He is Way to big for a crib as he is the size of a 3 and a half year old in weight and height...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Everything you are doing-just keep on it. My son did this until he turned 3! Now he is good and will go back to bed himself. The DD on the other hand.......she is 2 and we have to lock her in her room until she is asleep, otherwise we would go rounds ALL night.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Jenree: seriously? be consistant for a whole year? Oh man! I have a 21 month old who HATES to sleep and I know I will have the same battle if not worse... didn't realize it could take THAT long. I may have to lock him in his room too... you take all the toys out and just make sure everything is safe and leave them in there then?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My 2 year old is still in a crib for this very reason... I wanted to put her in a bed but I was afraid she would stop napping... It sounds like your doing everything possible... consistency is best!
    reagabismom

Answer by reagabismom at 10:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Get a routine going. My son was the same way for naps and bedtime. Now idk when you nap/bedtime is but and hour before nap time if you can take him outside and let him run around and look for signs that his sleepy. And with either nap/bedtime once you put him in his room ignore him. Our son goes to bed at 8 pm. We change him, tuck him into bed, ect and then the gate goes up and unless he is doing something bad we leave him alone Yes he plays alittle bit but he goes to bed on his own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2009