I pay my babysitter $10 p/h. My daughter is generally only awake for about 1-3 hours before she is sleeping & the sitter is spending the rest of the pm watching TV. My daughter NEVER wakes back up again once she is sleeping. I feel like I shouldn't have to pay as much p/h for the time she's watching TV. Does anyone agree (or am I being too cheap)?Also, if the sitter stays overnight (in case my DH & I want to go out after a show), how does that change the pay rate. I don't want to pa

Babysitter Overtime pay

MommmyT

Asked by MommmyT at 11:10 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My sister and I were just talking about this. If it's a teenager, the rate is totally different. We used to make 20-40 for dinner time until the wee hours of the morning, but we also weren't expected to do much after the kids went to sleep. If you are paying her, 80 or so dollars for 3 hours of awake time, that may be a lot. Unless, does she have kids? Is she away from her family? In that case, you're paying her for her time away. For that price, with that little to do, I'd probably expect a little light housework. You should sit her down, tell her you love her as a babysitter, but the price is a little expensive considering your little one is only awake for 3 hours and perhaps you can compromise? You could also consider dropping your little one at her house, that should lessen the price. Hope it helps!
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 11:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I pay a minimum for anytime, and round up when I am into another hour. If you decrease the pay, I think you send the message she can decrease her alertness to you child's needs. I would ask her to check on your daughter while she is sleeping every hour at least. You can ask her to straighten up the child's room, wash the dishes she used if she feeds her but I wouldn't ask for anything else. Part of the "perks" of babysitting is your charge isn't always awake and that is down time. You can't work in an actual break or mealtime either so consider how she could turn this around on you and have a legitimate point. Is she staying for your convenience or hers? If she prefers to stay, don't worry about pay. If she is expected to stay, I would give her another hour bonus and make sure she understands that. Even professionals on call make a fraction of their normal rate. It's expensive.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 11:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Thanks for answering so quickly. She is an older woman (42 years ols) who is married w/ 1 daughter (18 years old). She asked me about bringing my daughter to her house but mt DH & I are not comfortable w/ that (don't know her DH, might not be as attentive at her house, my daughter sleep quality/quantity might be affected). Thought about asking her daughter to sit but her schedule is not as flexible & my daughter is familiar with the mother. What do you think about $10 p/h awake time & $5 every hour afterwards? Is that ok? I really like her but don't want her bill to be almost as much as dinner for two!
    MommmyT

Answer by MommmyT at 11:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• She is there if needed by your daughter...taking up her time to sit there while you are away. You should pay her the $10.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 1:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• If she is on the clock, then she is on the clock. You agreed to an hourly rate and she is there, providing safety and protection for your sleeping child. If you want more out of the babysitter then the next time you hire an employee, negotiate housekeeping in with the babysitting...or something like that. Do Schools pay the teachers less during the lunch/recess hours just because the children are out of the class room? I think not.
    missmarykay

Answer by missmarykay at 1:26 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I think you can't have it both ways-you can't have an attentive person, and expect not to pay them. Since she has already suggested your daughter staying at her house, and you don't want that. Either you come home sooner, or pay. It's very hard to find someone good to watch your child, bit the bullet and be thankful.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• It doesn't hurt to ask her to negotiate but if you really like her and trust her you better be willing to pay whatever she wants.
    BELLITASMOM

Answer by BELLITASMOM at 10:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2008