When can you hear the heart beat on a cheap home fetal monitor?

I'm 16 weeks 4 days and can only find my hear beat... But I did manage to make baby "mad" when trying to find his/her heart beat!

hillmom

Asked by hillmom at 4:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Then what you have is a fetoscope, not a fetal monitor (doppler).

If you have a fetoscope it is way too early. Even the BEST midwives who are expert at the fetoscope can rarely hear anything at 16 weeks. Usually the good ones can hear around 18 or 19 weeks. Novices aren't going to have that kind of luck and have to wait until the baby is much bigger.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I think starting at the beginning of the 3rd trimester. That's what mine says at least.
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• You shouldn't use those. They really aren't approved for home use and thier safety is dubious because they aren't regulated. They use sound waves. You noticed your baby was "mad" that should tell you that it was probably uncomfortable or irritated by it.

If you are patient you can hear the heartbeat if you learn how to use a fetoscope though you may not hear it until at least the end of the second trimester.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• never lol they are crap
    mama2myAna

Answer by mama2myAna at 4:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• 20 wks. but is hard sometimes
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• amileegirl, thank you for your concern. The cheap one I have is just like a stethoscope (no sound waves enter my body), and my baby got mad because I was moving him/her around to try and pick up the heart beat.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 5:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2009