Teen Drivers

Parents, do you know how your teen drives? I certainly hope better than the two teens I just saw racing on the hwy. If I could have safely written down the plate I would have. But I was driving and only had my DD in the car. Please talk to your teen drivers about safety and responsibility!

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 5:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• yeah i was and still am a very responsible driver... unless im driving in san francisco, all those one way streets confuse me ;]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My kids hated me at the time, but I didn't allow any of mine to get a license until they were 18. I don't think teens should be driving alone at 16 or 17. JMO...and that's what counts in my house! lol
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i drove at 16 and honestly a first time driver at any age is deadly along with eldery people people on cellphones tired drivers ect ect ect
    mama2myAna

Answer by mama2myAna at 5:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Very good tip. My son is about to get his learner's permit,and you are right,this is something we always need to remind them of everytime they get behind the wheel. I certainly hope those two teens you saw make it home safely. Thanks for a very timely reminder.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I agree with Robinann, I don't think most 16 year olds are mature enough or responsible enough to be driving alone. It's insane why put an immature child behind the wheel? I didn't get my license until I was 19 years old and i'm glad I waited. Even though I had a kid at 17, I don't think I was ready to be driving at 16 (Yea that probably makes no sense to most people but yea LOL)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I dont think most teens are mature enough to drive. Mine wont be getting a license until at least 18.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 1:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• JMO but I think in any age group there are problem drivers. Teens and the elderly just get the worst of the judgement. My daughter has her permit, she is 16 and cannot drive alone until she is 17. I, personally, can't wait until she can drive on her own because she will be a big help to me and her sister, who always seems to want to go somewhere. In our state, DE, a teen drives with a licensed driver for 6 mos then there are rules after that for when they drive alone. But I have seen lots of other types of people drive aggressively, speeding, distracted, whatever the case may be. The best I can do is teach my daughter how to react to those type of people.
    zoocroo

Answer by zoocroo at 1:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Yeah I completely agree that many teens should learn more before getting their licenses, and the more this topic is discussed the better it will be for everyone on the roads! If you are concerned about your teen's driving or other teen drivers, you should check out Allstate Insurance Company for more safe teen driving information.
    -AlexisJ
    Advocate for Allstate
    alexisj19

Answer by alexisj19 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2010