Decor problem?!

Ok so we are renting and hopefully are planning to move out after our lease is up. Which isnt until next may. And there is a possibility that we may resign depending on our financial situation. So We havent really done much of anything as far as decor goes because I didnt think we would resign. So im really tired of living in a well a place that when you walk in you think oh there renting. You know what I mean. LIke you dont want to ruin the white walls you dont want to have to repaint in a few months sort of thing. So we have a few pic frames hanging in each room but there sort of random (FH hung those lol) and it just feels blah to me. Any ideas?! Im looking for ways to brighten up the rooms and make it feel like hope w.o painting. Also I have a fireplace (one of those fake ones) so we cant use it and its just ugly. Its all white and inside it has fake logs and red brick. Any ideas for that? Not enough room to put furniture

OliviasMommy614

Asked by OliviasMommy614 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

• in front of it. Maybe like a table or something but not like a couch it would stick into another doorway. I would say anything under 2 feet wide would fit fine. Oh and our crapet is a brown off white mix and our furniture is browns so any color would probably go.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I live in apartment and I've put up paintings and picture frames as well. If there's no clause in the lease that says you can't put anything up, go for it. Pick blues and yellows to brighten it up.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• maybe post a pic to get tips. i would do that but don't know how. i search images online to get ideas. you could put in fireplace ideas she waht comes up etc
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I am not sure if you can do this with your fireplace or not but if you can remove the logs -you can replace them with big candles. If you have children of course you need to be careful with any candles- they also have fake candles with an actual light inside instead of flame. This would defintely give a nice home feeling.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• try making a collage w/family photos, just use pic.frames of the same color, not necessarily the same style. Put up nice drapes and toss pillows on the couch to match. hang a plant somewhere and couple of vases w/flowers always brighten up a room.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i saw on hgtv's design to sell, they painted a brick fireplace and did what kellyjude suggested with the candles, u dont even have to light them, I wouldnt only because my ds would def. play with them. but they still look nice.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 10:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• We are in the same situation. I got a ton of matching stuff (pictures, sconces, bookends, rugs, other accessories my mom was getting rid of to redecorate our living room and guest room and then I painted our furniture to match that. You could probably find a whole new decor at a garage sale, craigslist, flea market, handmedowns from family or firends...I LOVE our new look and it was very very very inexpensive. All I really had to pay for was spray paint for the furniture. Our walls and floor are still the neutral renters colors, but it works because of all the rest of our decor. It would be too overwhelming if we painted the walls too! Good luck-you should post a pic so we could give you better tips.
    RomansMom25

Answer by RomansMom25 at 8:16 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Either remove the logs from the fireplace and replace with a candle arrangement and greenery - or put the candles spilling out onto the hearth area. Put an arm chair on either side of the fireplace and build the rest of the furniture arrangement around that. If you can't remove the fireplace - then make it a focal point. If you don't want to put a hole in the wall over it - you can prop a large picture up on the mantel and decorate around it (but use the sticky tac to stick the edges of it to the mantel and wall so it won't slide). A bookcase (even a cheap one behind each side chair against the wall (so the chairs are in from of them) - balance the whole wall. You want the eye to start at a lower point - move higher- then lower again. The trick is to arrange things so that the eye has a path to follow - generally lower, higher, lower. A picture of the room and your furniture would really help.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:01 AM on Aug. 18, 2009