Mexican women and breastfeeding?

I'm half Mexican. None of my relatives breastfed. This includes my Mom, Grandma, and Aunts. I always thought it was a generational thing, but when I was in my hometown this weekend with some of my sister's Mexican friends who are around my age (28) I found out that none of them breastfeed either. Is it a Mexican thing not to breastfeed? The one girl who did would not feed her daughter directly but pumped instead. I was just wondering about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am only about 1/8 mexican but I don't think its a cultural thing, the Mexican women in my family all breastfed, so did I, and so do my cousins, we are in our 20's and 30's
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• ...you know, my friend is puerto rican and none of her family breast fed either
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• OP Here.. I bf but when I asked my Mom or Grandma why they didn't, they both made a face like "ew, gross."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Well I'm Mexican-American first generation here. All of my family breastfeed, well except my mom she said none of us would latch on. My sister didn't breastfeed either because she had the same problem as did I. But I used to pump while I was at home and then started supplementing. It's definitely not a cultural thing.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 5:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• aaaal of the mexicans/mexican-americans I know breastfeed. So I dunno.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Well I was married to a Mexican and when I had my son his family freaked out that I breast fed. They went out of their way to make me feel very uncomfortable about it. None of my X husbands relatives breast fed either...My sisters are/were married to Mexicans and they tried breast feeding but they stopped as a result of their husbands extended families...hmmmm now I am curious about that myself.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 5:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I don't think that is specific to just Mexico. I know in the UK 1/5th of women breastfeed and of those another fifth go on to breastfeed for 6 weeks and more. It is such a sad situation.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I think it's more of a minority thing. Minorities usually are poor and uneducated. They don't have the information or support it takes. They have WIC and the stigma that breasts are only sexual, therefore not to be used with an infant. It's really just popular ignorance. With breastfeeding being so rare as it is, it's not surprising. I'm the only one in my huge Mexican family to breastfeed. Even my great grandma bottlefed.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• NONE of the mexicans here in my city BF longer than maybe in the hospital..this is according to the study done by WIC in my county, of the women who get WIC (which 75% of people who get WIC in my county are mexican or hispanic) there are NONE who get no formula and only one who gets a few cans of formula..the rest are all formula from day one

I was told that basically the hispanics see people who BF as POOR because only the poor BF in mexico, the wealthy can afford sanitary water to make formula...its like a status thing
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• most of the mexican women get wic!!! i dont' see too many BF
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2009