Checked for strep B

I was checked for Strep B (?) today and they found some bacterial discharge from the swab. It take over 24 hours to get back the results, right? That means it's just BV, not necessarily testing pos. got Strep B.
Right?
They gave me antibiotics for it and I read that they are not given for this. I know I should have asked him this. He just said I had some discharge and he checked it and it was a bacterial infection.
When do the test reslults for this come back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Test results come back for what? Your question was VERY confusing! I dont know if you are asking about the test results for a bacterial infection or the test results for Group B strep!!

If you are talking about GBS then it takes less then a week becuase you get the results at your next doctors appt. But they wouldnt give you anti-biotics for it because that is pointless. You have to receive IV anti-biotics within 12 hours of birth
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• They will probably call you about it in a day or two, it doesn't take long, but it's not right away like when they check for bacterial infection. I always had infections with my pregnancies, make sure to drink a lot of water. Cranberry juice helps, but get 100% juice or a mix as long as it's all 100% juice. Blueberries also help, and yogurt! GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• If they gave you antibiotics now it wouldn't be for the group b, the bacterium is usually found in most people at some point (by the way GBS infection in infants is very rare and the risk is GREATLY reduced if you don't let them break your water or stick thier hands in your vagina which can cause bacterial infection where there wouldn't have been one because they can push things up the vagina).

If you are on antibotics, I urge you to take some probiotic supplements to replenish the good bacteria in your body or you could end up with a yeast infection.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Antibiotics now? Not for GBS!
    Maybe urinary tract infection. May be something more serious.
    Call pharmacy or read leaflet from medicine it will tell you common uses for medicine.
    Ask your OB.
    GotteAClue

Answer by GotteAClue at 3:55 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• call your doctor and tell him/her you were flustered and forgot to clarify things and find out what you got antibiotics for. that is the only way to find out.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:33 AM on Aug. 18, 2009