Test for Strep B??

I was checked for Strep B (?) today and they found some bacterial discharge from the swab. It take over 24 hours to get back the results, right? That means it's just BV, not necessarily testing pos. got Strep B.
Right?
They gave me antibiotics for it and I read that they are not given for this. I know I should have asked him this. He just said I had some discharge and he checked it and it was a bacterial infection.
When do the test reslults for this come back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Health

• Strep B lives in the back door and is harmless for a person to have, and the only risk it has is to a newborn baby who could come into contact with it while being born. If you have it, they will give you antibiotics via the IV while your in labor.
    BV is the opposite of a yeast infection and I would be surprised if any female has ever made it through life w/o getting atleast one!

A just in case tip: If you do have Strepp B, ask them to put numbing stuff in your IV with the antibiotics, alone, they antibiotics hurt more then full on labor contractions!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It takes 24 to 48 hours for a Group B strep screen at the hospital I work at. If you are positive they will give you antibiotics during labor as a prevention for the baby. Strep B can cause septicemia (bacteria in the blood) and meningitis in newborns. So, the test is to protect the baby from these life threatening diseases. When a women is a carrier of St B they will treat you with a penicillin antibiotic for each pregnancy. If you are allergic to PEN they will give you clindamycin.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 5:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I tested positive for the virus with my first pregnancy...they told me as long as i get to a hospital within an hour after my water breaks im fine..just have to have an iv with meds so it doesnt hurt the baby...with my second child i tested negative but they said even if its negative with a second baby they still treat it as a positive...nothing serious really..just make sure you tell the nurse when you are admitted for labor.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2009