Now what?

I've had it with these nap time battles. So... we started nap time at noon and.. He finally fell asleep at 6pm. =(

This is not working, but if I don't want to "give in" and let him out of bed after a certain amount of time or he will think he can just hold out till then and get his way.

He needs a nap, no negotiation. Or else I end up with a whiny crying toddler that refuses to listen and throws temper tantrums at the drop of a hat from 11pm till bed time (8pm).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Umm maybe you could do somethin to wear him out b4 you put him down? And make sure he's got a full belly. some of the kids at the daycare i used to work at would cover their heads to sleep so it was dark. Hope somethin i said helps!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• How old is your toddler? My ds 20 months old takes a nap from 1pm to 3 pm and goes to bed at 8pm wakes up at like 7 am. Some kids do not need big naps... Good luick
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 6:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• have you tried laying down with him?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i think if you make things boring for him. i had the same problem. my daughter is reallly active. but i wake up at 930 i wake her up i change her diaper, i give her food. usually soup or bread with butter stuff like that. she doesnt eat the stuff that i eat. and then around 1 pm i feel so tired. i clean up everything. even alll her toys so theres nothing in sight that she can enjoy and i give her a cold bottle of water or juice. and i lay down with her. i usually close my eye and rest so then she wont get distracted and try to play with me. sometimes covering her with veryyy comfortable blanket and sometime cover her eyes will make her tired. you just have to try diffrent things to see what he fits ....i tried so much but the one that im telling you worked for my daughter. hope i helped out alil. good luck!!!
    mami2bagainlol

Answer by mami2bagainlol at 7:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My ds is 19 months & he still takes 2 naps a day that is the only thing that worked for us. He gets up at 7am & has brkfast, 7:30- 9:00 he just plays with whatever including him and his big sissy picking on eachother. 9:00 - 9:30 we dance to some kids music and then have a snack and he lays down for a nap at 10 I lay next to him for about 10 mins and hes out until about 11:30. He gets up at 11:30 and has lunch. We play, have story time just stuff to wear him out some more and then he takes another 1 hour nap at 2:00 and goes to bed between 8 and 9pm. I hope this will help its the only thing that I have found works with my 2. My 3 yr old only takes a nap when she is really tired otherwise she will not take one. She just lays down for quiet time while brother is sleeping.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 7:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I agree with previous poster, cover all your bases as far as food, drink go. And make sure to play with him extra hard for like the hr before hand to tire him out. Or if that doesnt work try making nap time later during the day.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 7:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• my two year old, is asleep around 1 PM, and the three and a half year old takes a nap when she really needs one. Which is almost every day. She is starting afternoon play school, next week and is going to have a hard time with no nap. The girls usually sleep around two hours, but can sleep up to three and a half. They go to bed at 9 PM, and are up just after 9 AM.
    a.lake

Answer by a.lake at 5:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2009