3 month old hard time bowel movement

I need help figuring out what to do. my three month old is having a hard time using the bathroom its been three days and the pharmasist told me to give him a enama, what else can I do.

gichica

Asked by gichica at 6:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can try what my ped suggested for my DS, he's 4 mos now, but was 7 days old before he passed his first stool outside of the hospital. My pediatrician suggested using the tylenol dropper and giving him .04 (1/4 the little dropper) of prune juice in 6 oz of milk for one serving a day until he poops. Or you could as your ped about an oral treatment. Enemas are hard on a person, and I can only imagine what they'd do for baby... not to mention icky? LOL.

GL, mommy!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 6:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Breast fed or formula fed? And as long as the stool once passed is not hard, your child is not constipated. No way would I do an enema unless my doctor advised it. Even then I'm not sure I would. If your baby is breast fed, it isn't abnormal for them to go up to a week without having a bowel movement.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 6:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I'm also curious if baby is breast or bottle fed, because breast fed babies can go as long as a week without a bowl movement
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 6:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Gerbers apple prune juice its better than plain prune juice cuz it tastes better 2 most babies, if that doesn't work then unfortunately I would have 2 suggest geting the otc fleet enema, once u use everything will fly out almost instantly so don't put ur face 2 close. Gl
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• he is breast fed
    gichica

Answer by gichica at 6:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My breastfed baby often went a week without a bowel movement. unless your baby is in pain, there probably is no need to intervene.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The enema really isn't that bad and its very quick. My baby smiled after it, I guess she was happy 2 be rid of the pain her constipation was causing her. She was about 4 months when I used it on her.
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 6:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i was so worried. I thought he had to use it at least once a day. Thank you ladies
    gichica

Answer by gichica at 7:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• my little boy fell asleep after.
    gichica

Answer by gichica at 7:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2009