child spacing

so i had my son at 20 and i know im in NO position to even think about having another one anytime soon, i tell all my friends who had their LO's at around my age that right now i'm thinking at least until im 27 (i mean it could change) and they are all (okay not all but a lot) 'OMG THAT IS WAY TOO LONG YOUR SON WILL BE SEVEN' and im like '...so?'

so does anyone have any children that are pretty far spaced? how did it work out for you?

pookipoo

Asked by pookipoo at 6:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• My youngest is 7, 9 and 11 years younger than his siblings. They LOVE him and dote all over him all the time - I'm going to have to be really careful that he's not spoiled. I would like to have one more so that he has a close sibling, instead of extra "miniparents" It's hard because my older ones have such different interests than my lo. They want to go and do and see, and I have to slow it down because my lo needs a nap, or it's time for him to eat, or something that he's not ready for (ie going to the movies). Them being so far apart is not something I would have chosen.

Answer by missanc at 8:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I am 10 years younger than my brother...it was lonely. My Lo will be 5 when we start trying again...She will be in kindergarden when the new baby comes so she will be busy...that also helps on cars at 16 and sports, and college.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i was an only child, do you think child spacing is more lonely? i suppose so. like i said the 7 year thing can change i just want to make sure im financially and emotionally ready to have another!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• my little sister is 12 years younger than me and it's a godsend for her, my mom has more money for just the one kid and she has none of the mental issues my sister and i had at four years apart.

i think its way better to let kids have their own childhoods with the siblings being much older.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Ha! I know kids that are 16 years apart!!! Your friends would probably be just as upset with me (or more so)! Ask them if closer is better - mine are 15 months, 18 months, and 14 months apart. At the end of January I will have 4 children ages 3, 2, 1, and newborn! Lol! Every family is different and your child will know nothing different. It won't matter to them at all. So who cares!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My problem was that my bro and 3 sis were all within 5 years and I was 10 yrs later. They all had pals growing up, I didn't. If there were no siblings, I don't think it would have been as lonely since I wouldn't see what I was missing.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• yeah i LOVED being an only child. i was never really lonely... although i am socially awkward, but i chalk that up to my OCD ;]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i was an only child .. loved it then still love it.. my DD will be an only as well
    mama2myAna

Answer by mama2myAna at 7:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• yeah jademom i was thinking that. but regardless im not going to TTC for a baby i'm not financially or emotionally ready for, im just wondering what to expect
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My kids are 7 years apart. My oldest LOVES playing with his little brother and helping in any way he can. My youngest adores him and follows him everywhere. I love the fact that they're spaced and they don't seem to mind either
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2009