Yes, another food stamp question. For those who receive them.

For those of you who read this, and currently receive food stamps. Do you purchase junk food, pop and convenience boxed foods because you think they are cheaper or because they are easier or perhaps for both reasons.
The reason I ask this is, if you had a way to get help on what to fix for meals from scratch and save money, would you do it? Are you open to new meal ideas? There are groups on CafeMom that talk about meals and saving money at the same time. I am not judging, I am posting as anonymous because I receive food money help, and don't feel like being bashed because of it. Anyone that would like to hear more about at least one CM group that would help you eat healthier on a budget or have help with a meal plan please reply without being anonymous and I'll contact you individually and show you what I know and we can compare notes. Thanks. No BASHING, the comment you make WILL be DELETED if you aren't nice. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I don't get food stamps but am always looking to save money and new improved meal ideas
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 7:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• the way we do it here is i always buy store brand, and the cheapest...if we budget right we have one night a week that is "fun night" where we splurge and buy frozen pizza and soda...otherwise we try our best!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• We received FS for a couple of months last year. I preferred to buy the INGREDIENTS to make meals rather than premade or convenience foods. I made $180 worth of food last for almost 2 months that way and that's with a family of 7. Of course we still had to buy perishables every 2 weeks and 2 - 3 gallons of milk a week.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I'm the original poster: I found that our local Papa Murphy's Pizza (it's a take and bake place) allows food stamps!! It's great for a family of 4. We can get One pizza for the price we would pay for 3 or 4 small ones on sale at the grocery store. And we can get grilled chicken and veggies on it so it's good for us too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I get the newspaper every Wednesday, especially the one b4 our stamps come in, because Albertson's nd Smith's chang their specials that day. Like this month, w chose to make the "stock up" trip at Albertson's. They had their buy one get one free meat sale. Paid $40 for $80 worth of meat. And I do get some prepackaged food, when the price is right. This past week Lunchables were on the 10 for $10 list(normally $2.59 apiece) so I got about 15 of them. Quick and easy that the kids can get for themselves, since I'm disabled and sometimes hurt too much to move, let alone cook. I do budget out for the necessary perishables during the week so we don't hve to go witout milk or bread. A good tip for eggs-- if the box says they are expired, just fill a bowl wih cold water and place the eggs in. The ones that float to the top are bad, the ones that sink are good, and the middle floaters need to be eaten within 3 or 4 days. Saves on fresh
    greenmom4543

Answer by greenmom4543 at 9:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2009