What is your opinion of the CIO method?

What if you have been trying to get them to go to sleep for two hours straight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think that they must not be tired.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• For 2 hours? they're not tired or in some kind of pain, gas, teething, etc..
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Well I have been told I use the CIO - if you consider it any form of letting the child cry. I have a stubborn son who does not like to go to sleep. We would set the timer for 5 minutes, go in and pat his back, tell him we would be back, and then leave for another 5 minutes. We did have a couple of times that lasted an hour or two. I also had a son who did that and turns out he was hungry. He has a HUGE appetite so I had no idea. We just started feeding him until he refused another bite, even if it meant 2 or 3 hamburgers, 2 bananas, 1/2 can of green beans, and some yogurt! Lol! He stopped crying at night!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• If you have been using CIO for 2 hours straight then you need to stop because it obvsiously is not working for your child. Personally sometimes they just need to cry so I let them and just sit holding them while they do. If they are truly tired then they fall asleep, if they aren't then they get it out of their system and move on. I will not use CIO because I feel it breaks down the trust that the children have and need to have in their parents.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Try the no cry to sleep method it is awesome, works perfectly for my children
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• 2 hours....I would say they aren't tired. Or they are hungry by 2 hours of crying. But I only let mine cry and fuss for a short bit, less than 15 minutes. I can't take that screaming that long....but I'm a sucker
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 7:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Sounds to me like he isn't tired. I used the CIO method only because I desperately needed sleep and everyone told me he had to learn how to put himself to sleep. Well, at first I had a hard time with letting him scream, but not 20 min later he would be out. Now he's 2 1/2 and he's out like a light as soon as his head hits the pillow
    ravensgirl83

Answer by ravensgirl83 at 10:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It depends on the age. I don't believe in CIO for less than 1 yr old. It is my opinion that when a baby cries, they need something. I also would not let my kids CIO for 2 hrs. If your child is still crying after 2 hrs, they need something. I know how frustrating it can be. Good luck.
    mrimom

Answer by mrimom at 10:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2009