If you are or ever have been overweight....

Do you think you are treated differently when you are overweight compared to when you are/were of a more normal weight?

Julie411me

Asked by Julie411me at 7:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Only in the sense that now my mom has to comment on my weight all the time. It's rude.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 7:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Yes, I do think that people treat us differently based on our weight...
    Inkedmommy007

Answer by Inkedmommy007 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i am 175lbs but im 5'9" so you cant really tell as much as someone who is shorter. i dont feel treeated any diff but i definately feel ugly. i gained 50lbs during my pregnancy i was 158PP and a size 8 i looked tiny but i have hips. now im a 12-14 ugg
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• you know i personally dont notice being treated differently, but i FEEL differently.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I'm 5'5" and in my twenties, I was 125 lbs. Then once I hit 30, the weight just didn't fall off anymore...and that had nothing to do with having twins at 28..b/c nine months after the twins were born, I went back down to size. And now, after having my 3rd baby, I'm 160 and it seems impossible to lose the weight. I don't think people treat me any differently, but that I feel different. I use to be a size 2 and now I'm a 10..ugh.. Don't even know how to shop for my own clothes anymore because I've been wearing DH's clothes for so long.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 7:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Totally. I was an obese teen and was harassed constantly. Then I lost the weight when I was 18 and the same people that were harassing me suddenly "wanted some of it".
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 7:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Well, my husband noticed and people I hadn't seen for months noticed too. It's not easy though and I did gain some weight back but I am at a healthy weight now and most of the time I eat sensibly.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Definitely beyond a shadow of a doubt. All of my childhood my mother was obese (size 24) and the things said to her and about her in front of me were disgusting. Most people never bothered to learn what a wonderful person she really was....they just went by what they felt about how she looked. It sickened me and I hurt for her a great deal while she was alive when she was mistreated this way.

Now that I have had children and am not as slim as I used to be, I feel some of those stares too. Although I am only a size 14.....I can tell quite a difference in the way I am treated. Personally, it tells me a lot about the character of the person treating someone harshly for their weight. Sort of gives me a clue up front that this is not the type of person I am interested in dealing with on a close basis anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Yes absolutely. I've been treated like I have no feelings or like I'm not a human being. I've been made fun of in front of my children and have had things thrown at me. My husband almost hurt a guy once because it made him sooo angry to see his wife treated like that. My husband's family has treated me horribly as well. I won't lie, it hurts but if I sink to ignorant people's level then I'm only as good as them.
    ToniTennille

Answer by ToniTennille at 9:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I notice when I go to Victoria's Secret for lotion or underwear I am ignored, while the saleswomen are tripping over the skinny women--handing them a bag and suggesting items. I don't go there anymore because of that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2009