Don't want to give birth in the hospital where my doctor works out of.

Its me again. Well i tried to go to another doctor and backed out while i was there. I couldn't do it. I felt like i was doing something bad don't ask me why. I wish I would have did this along time ago in the beginning of my pregnancy because now its hard to change docs. I'm already 8 months and he's been really good to me, no complaints there. Will I regret this?, probably. I am a really loyal person and i had my doc for more than five years. As a matter of fact he was the one that helped me get pregnant. My daughter is 15 and now pregnant with my second. I am still a little stress about the hospital but what can i do, either way I feel bad. : (

latinamom94

Asked by latinamom94 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i'm not following you
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Just go to the hospital he works out of. you have no reports saying it's unsanitary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Would you hesitate to change plumbers, electricians, painters, etc. No matter how much you LIKE them, would you be willing to let them in your home if their crew was a disaster? You'd be concerned about the safety of your possessions. Would you send your children to a daycare that was dirty or had poor employees out of loyalty to the day care provider who had been good to you?

You aren't doing anything wrong by switching doctors for whatever reason. It is no different than going to see a specialist instead of your general practioner. It is also unlikely that your doctor would be there during the birth anyway and you'd likely end up with a perfect stranger.

DO NOT feel bad! Tell him if you wish that you are happy with his service, but ultimately for the birth you need to go to another location and you understand that he can't be there. If he is as good as you say, he won't have a problem with that.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I agree with the above poster. If you do not want to give birth at that hospital, put your unborn child first and do what is best for them, not your doctor. It is unfortuante for him, but at the same time, you could be politely making a statement about the kind of care you expect. Stand up for yourself and your baby, Mama! Being comfortable with your surrounding during labor is extremely important! You also could look into hiring a doula.
    squish

Answer by squish at 8:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I know, hun-- I know. I can't believe you backed out while you were there, though...    Maybe this new doc's personality was really awesome and a wonderful fit for you!    ?
    And no privileges elsewhere.
    Well, I guess if you're really that committed then there's nothing more you can do.

Buuut...   *I* think you should give someone else a chance if you really dislike that hospital so much.

Good luck!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I know that this is a VBAC site, BUT it lists very thoroughly what your rights are as a patient, how you can refuse procedures, and that you do NOT have to sign their consenet forms as is.

If you are going to deliver in a hospital you don't like/trust to be with the doctor that you do, then you should know this information

http://www.ican-online.org/vbac/your-right-refuse-what-do-if-your-hospital-has-banned-vbac-q
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2009