When people say "mixed" why do people

automatically assume it's black and white? That's irritating. have you noticed that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yes, I have noticed. i think it is because that is the most common of the mixed-race.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 7:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I think everyone is all mixed up.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 7:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• If people want others to know exactly what they are mixed with. They need to say what they are mixed with. I usually say 1/2 black and 1/2 white. Bi-racial is another confusing.

Answer by louise2 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Why the hell do people even say mixed? What are they mixed with a dog? NO...people are people, regardless of race. STOP making race an issue people. We are all part of the human race!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It's because that's where the term came from. My friends that are black use the term. Where I live, there are mostly mixed children. It seems petty to let it bother you. You are making race an issue where it isn't. I agree with louise if you want them to know tell them and stop getting crabby with everyone else for not using their mind reading powers. Ethinicity will always be an issue, we are all different and we can appreciate and enjoy that we are different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Because that's usually the context in which the term is used.

I don't like using "mixed" to describe my daughter. She is biracial (african american and caucasian). "Mixed" makes me think of "mixed up".
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• my daughter is going out with a guy from columbia .they have been seeing each other for a while.i think if they have kids and get married they will be mixed.i just see them as beautiful children....
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 8:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• WHO CARES. WE ARE ALL "BEAUTIFUL" PEOPLE IF WE ARE "GOOD" PEOPLE. DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR COLOR OR NATIONALITY IS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I have noticed that too. I try hard not to pay too much attention because I am recently quite irritated by people that talk stuff about mixing races and mixed children, etc. Little too close to home, as I am in a mixed (I'm white, he's Latino) married with two teens, who are the same mix. Why oh why do I wonder does it matter SO much to simple minds? Leave us be is all I ask them.

Another word that grates my nerves is 'colored'. I swear, just to be a pain in the rear, I always ask them what color. We are all a color and therefore 'colored'....hehehe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I have people who bring their kids to me for braiding and refer to them as mixed. It doesn't seem to bother them. My son is part Mexican, but I rarely feel the need to bring it up, nor correct people for it. I have bigger fish to fry in this crazy life of mine.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2009