Is cluster programs suitable for a kindergarten child with down syndrome?regular schools or private are better.? I live in broward county ,florida and still didin't find where to place my child.

My child is entering kindergarten and by his IEP they say he would be better in cluster programs , only problem I that he hates special needs schools ,he is very dismotivated and sad in those programs.He is very active and seems bored there.
since he start school I couldn't find a less restrict program to place him.And now seems that I don't have a choice again to place him where I think he would develop better!!!!

yakisoba2

Asked by yakisoba2 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with finding the appropriate placement for your child. I don't know Florida laws, but i do know you as a parent should and need to have the ritght to place your child where you think he has the best chance to succeed. I live in PA and we have what is called the DART program. I sent my typical child there and he did very well. I have a degree to teach kids with Special Needs, but mainly worked with children who have behavior problems. I DO have a soon to be 3 yr. old who was born with Down Syndrome and he will be going to DART on his 3rd B-Day in Sept. I really like the curriculum there. They have a good head teacher,speech therapist and DV who will work with him. When he gets to gradeschool he will be in with typical kids most of the time. Let me tell you this....Be sure to know the IDEA laws for you state. Look them up on-line and print them out. Good luck!
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2009