Do you think its wrong to make your child eat all their food?

My son isnt a picky eater and when we go out and eat he eats more than me, but when i cook (and im not a bad cook by any means) he always has something he doesnt want to eat on his plate. I dont give him alot usually about 1/2 serving of meat and two or three tablesppons of something else. every night e doesnt want to eat all his food no matter how little i give him. Ive heard some say its wrong to force kids to "clean their plate" but i was raised that wasting food is wrong when their are so many people in the world who barely have any.

SaturnsMom

Asked by SaturnsMom at 7:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is he 2? I feel like kids always decide to stop eating at 2! My oldest daughter did that. Now my youngest does it and she's 2. But they will try and eat all of Daddy's food which is exactly the same as the rest of us! I now make them eat it all or no snack! I only think it's wrong if the child really doesn't like the food. Good luck!
    minimommy816

Answer by minimommy816 at 7:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i won't because nowadays it can lead to obesity, when we are full we know it and don't continue to eat if there is leftovers on the plate, why do that to your kid?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I dont think it is a bad thing. It teaches him not to waste food.
    evilmomof2boys

Answer by evilmomof2boys at 7:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Forcing a child to "clean his plate" can contribute to eating disorders. Keep portions small and balanced. You can certainly require a child to finish "firsts" before allowing seconds.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Our rule is you eat what you take and there has to be 1 spoonful of each thing to try. (a regular table setting spoon is what we use) We found that no after school snack really ups the percent of times plates are clean. We eat dinner between 5 and 6 each night and the kids get home around 430. So, there isn't a lot of time to listen to the "I'm hungry" chant. If you like something you can get more, but you have to eat it all. There are a few dinners that my 5 year old truely will not eat and he has the option of PB and J for that night. Make sure portions are small and they can usually finish it all.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 8:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Duh..kids 5-8 lol..not 2 haha. I'm pretty sure since you said you give him small portions he's not gonna get fat! I wouldn't force it, but I wouldn't let him eat anything else until the next meal if he didn't want to eat dinner.
    minimommy816

Answer by minimommy816 at 8:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• my parents always told me if i didnt clean my plate then i couldnt have dessert. i don't have any eating disorders
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• yes. It causes an eating disorder because they havent learned when they are full because they hve been taught to eat everything..so later in life they see a pizza, instead of eating a slice and saving the rest until later the consume the entire thing and then wonder why. Let you child eat until they are full, even if its just 2 bites. Put the plate in the microwave and save it...they will be back later and eat. Sit them at the table just like it was dinner so that they understand the dinner ritual to help recognize a meal and to eat at meal time as they grow. They will catch on and regulate themselves...be patient. I have 4, 3 grown and one so close it scares me. so I feel like I have a little insite into this for you...*smiles*
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 8:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I struggle with my weight and have a hard time leaving food on my plate. I like to blame it on my mom who made me clean my plate! Lol! But I'm an adult and could just be more disciplined. However, I don't make my children clean their plate. They must try everything and if they want seconds of something, they must clean their plate. If the eat very little because they just don't want to - then they get no snacks and will wait until the next meal to eat. Oh, my kids are 2, 3, and 10 months.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• yes my son is seven. and yes the portions are very small and my meals are always balanced. he really seems to only want starchy foods and those are the ones that need to be eaten in moderations.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 8:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2009