If your toddler were to bite you would you bite him back?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 8:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope, I learned this with my son. He would hit too.... came from High Fives. So we don't high five until he understands that hitting is not ok.

I tried grabbing his hands and holding them down when he would bit and/or hit. When he's mad at me, he tries to bit, hit AND hold my arm really hard.

They learn everything from you. It's very difficult. Just be aware of what triggers the behavior and try to circumnavigate it. Be ready for it. and just sit them away from the situation and tell them "No biting. Be nice and gentle." And show them nice and gentle.

hope that helps. it's soooo frustrating...
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• No
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• No... Your child will learn that mommy bites too and if mommy does it it is ok...
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 8:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• NO if a kid were to bite him its not ok for him to do it back he should TELL. So why would it be ok for u to bite them? u never do what a kid has done back to them it confuses them and they dont know what to do or how to react when someone does it to him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• No, they don't know any better, I do!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 8:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My MIL and I just had an argument about that last night. She insists that if my BIL bites his 13 month old he will stop biting, thank god my BIL disagrees also. No, I don't think that logic works with babies. Just my opinion though.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• my son bt mewen he was 1 months old....i bit hm where he bit me hard eough to let hm know it hurt and hes never done it since
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Mamaof2boys0709

Are you kidding me, you Bit a 1 month old baby???? I don't even have to words to express how horribly wrong that is.
    At 1 month they have no concept of right or wrong or that their actions can cause pain

Wow
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• how can a 1 month old bite? just curious.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• NO i eoulf not bite back! when my 3rd son was teething he would try to bite my shirt, but would sometimes nip me and has even left marks, but i just grabbed his little hads, looked him in the eyes and sternly said no to him. It took a few times, but it worked!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2009