why did YOU personally choose to FF? not a bash!!

I chose to FF because I got mastitis 4 times and decided my daughters health was more important than me feeling like an "accomplished mother". i really wanted to BF but she lost so much weight it was unhealthy. so, after almost of month of pumping and syringe feeding or bottle with BM feeding, i gave up and cried for days. i may have had more success if the hospital didnt give her a pacifier w/o my permission.

so this is for the FFers to get their own side out! what was your personal reason for not/ giving up BFing. have fun!

honeybee429

Asked by honeybee429 at 8:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was not given a chance with my first daughter. The nurses took her away, gave her the first bottle of formula and never even bothered to ask me if I was going to breast feed (which I wasn't). I had never in my life been around breast feeding and found it repulsive, it wasn't until this past year after doing some research, that I wished I could do it all over and BF my three babies instead.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I didn't have a choice either. But it was my own body's fault. I EBF for the first month, and then my milk supply starting giving out. When my daughter was about 2 months old, I just completely dried up one morning. Luckily I had been receiving formula samples while I was pregnant, so whenever my milk disappeared, I had back-up.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I couldn't bring myself to do it. The first time, I knew I had to go to work right away (I was a single mom) and I lived with my parents, my mom is against it, it wouldve been weird. I considered it this time around, but again, thought it would be alot more trouble. I'm a very private person, and my family is very intrusive, I would feel weird if I had to do it in front of people.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I sort of agree with the first answer. I have never been around breast feeding. No one in my family breastfed, not even my grandma 50 years ago when my dad was born. I am grossed out by it (for me), I don't care what other people do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The responses here are so interesting. I have always assumed that women who FF by choice were either selfish or uneducated. I managed to work full time outside the home and BF for two years. I was physically able to do it, and it was best for my child. When we choose to become parents, we believed (and stilll do) that we should ALWAYS do what is best for the child.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Neither one of my boys would latch on, so I gave them formula.
    No, I probably didn't try hard enough, but that was the choice I made.
    jucyfrut

Answer by jucyfrut at 9:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Like it matters anymore, because my daughter is 7.5 months old and we're way past the point of caring what anyone thinks...but I breastfed for the first few days of my daughter's life. It just didn't work out. I was stressed, tired, hungry, anxious, and unhappy. I didn't enjoy it like everyone said I would. Not everyone enjoys breastfeeding. I refuse to be called a bad mother because of what I chose to feed my daughter in her first year of life. You can't tell who was formula fed and who was breastfed when we're adults. It's a silly issue that shouldn't even be an issue.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I have 2 kids. My first son was FF. He didn't even try to latch on, so I didn't push him and gave him the bottle instead. Then a couple of days, I tried it again and he did latch on, but was letting go soon and spitted everything out. So I gave it up. He's now 3 years old and a big, strong and energetic kid. My second son was BFED. I decided to try it again and he latched on right away. Yes, it was hard, my nipples were cracked almost 3 month long. They were also bleeding and sometimes it was hard to even pump or letting him latch on. I was always engorged and it hurt so worse, he nursed at day time every hour and at night every 2 hours. I was always tired til he was 8 month, then he changed his nursing times!
    It's hard and if you have health problems, then FF! You're still a good Mom! You tried it and it didn't work out, so go for FF. GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My kids are 26, 25, 19, and 14 now, when I had my first 3 it really wasn't as popular, they still thought formula was good. With my 4th my milk never came in, I didn't try to bf though. Now that I know more, if I had it to do over again, I'd bf.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Like it matters anymore, because my daughter is 7.5 months old and we're way past the point of caring what anyone thinks...

LOL my boys are 16 and 13.............yep...... not going to start now!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2009