Was it hard for you when you found out that your child was interested in and or having sex?

I know, it's normal kids do it. I get all that, I don't need it explained to me. I just feel how I feel. My mom caught my 11 year old looking at dirty pics on the net. I didn't freak, and I'm trying to be understanding. It's just hard to believe that my sweet little man is changing. It's so strange. I don't get it. I thought I'd be okay with this subject when my kids got older. Now I just feel weird and awkward!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well, I know its normal for a 11 year old to be curious. But I still believe you should montitor his computer usage and also use some filters and child "locks" on certain web sites.

Porn can become addictive and you dont want that for him. Also, you want him to value women and show him that women are more than just object to look at.

I say this, knowing men look, but he is just 11...so a few rules and guidelines would help him,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I hope that you used this as a "teachable moment", to discuss safe sex, the objectification of women, what ever.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Oh yes, absolutely. Agreed. We have been watching him like a hawk and are trying to make him feel comfortable with asking us things if he needs to. It's me, I guess I feel strange or something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My parents never had "the talk" with me or my sisters, so I assumed they didn't with our youngest brother who was born when I was ten. I've taken the role of the parent in many ways with him and realized it was time to have the talk with him and make sure he's being safe (and not trusting BC!). I was so nervous! Now he comes to me with issues and it's not so bad. I have two girls (one is still on her way) and I'm glad about that, I won't feel as alientated. But I'll tell you, I just had to swallow that embarassment and be the adult. It's important he learns things from you, and ESPECIALLY not the internet. (I would restrict him from those sites, although it is normal curiousity--he needs to focus his attention on other things for now, get a healthy foundation!)
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Yes, it has been very hard for me. I read a text message between my son and a girl, both 12, about "blow jobs". I thought I was going to die. He swears up and down they didn't actually do it, but just talked about it.

I thought I would be dealing with this at 15 or 16, not 12.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2009