If you did drugs in your younger years how would you feel about your children doing it as well?

If you did any drugs when you were younger (or even currently), how would you feel if youre child(ren) did it themselves? Would you just let them do it and learn their own mistakes, like you did. Or would you try to get them help, even if that causes them to think of you as a "hyprocrite" (kind of like the whole "well you did so why cant I). And while on the subject, would you even tell your kids about any type of recreational drug use you had in your past?

*just a note: im not trying to cause any drama, im just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, I would not tell my children about my past drug use. And NO I would never allow them to learn their own mistakes...I hope that I can teach them to take a better path..

But on a side note, I can honestly tell my kids I have never done drugs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My children have seen the consequences of my poor choices. I am open and honest with them and tell them what happened to me because of my poor choice. Save yourself the trouble kind of thing.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I have never done drugs, and I expect my kids to never do drugs. I will raise them better than that and watch carefully the friends they grow up with in high school. If I suspect they are or know they are.. they will get help ASAP.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• when you do something and dont realize what your life was going to end up like, addicted, that is one thing. But when you know what is going to happen to your kids if YOU do not do anything then i would say your guilty. Now if you do try to do something to help/change them and they still do not listen i would say it is not you to blame but their stubborness. Its hard, this situation. .but you might just have to explain to them that you dont want them to make the same mistake you had and explain why..sometimes you really need to be honest to your kids.(There are somethings that shouldnt be talked with your kids like financial problems, because that can be on their mind just like yours and it is not weight they need(and that really was just and example)) Try to find the reason why they are doing drugs, it might have been just to try it and now they use it as a way to feel better bout some issues, try to find that issue.
    waytruthlife

Answer by waytruthlife at 9:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• As a former drug user (Don't judge me please it was a bad part of my past ..) I can say I will be honest with my son once he is old enough and I will explain to him the true dangers of drug use and hopefully help him through it if he ever does decide to try drugs. I will do everything in my power to help my son make better choices than I did.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• "I will raise them better than that and watch carefully the friends they grow up with in high school. If I suspect they are or know they are.. they will get help ASAP."

Good luck with that!! (It isn't exactly that simple, sorry to say) My parents raised me pretty damn good, all my friends were straightedged people (or so my parents thought) I knew drugs were bad but I still got addicted to Ecstasy and Cocaine at 15. My parents never even suspected I was on drugs because I hid it extremely well. While raising them good plays a part, it isn't everything for a person who uses drugs. Most drug users were raised 'right' and had great parents but were still missing a part of their life and filled that void with drug use. It's something like with any other addiction or illness, unless you've been there you will never fully understand how it is or how it works.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• everything may be perfect in your life and yet still have a void? And you keep asking your self why do i still feel empty? Jesus fills that void and i know for a fact that is true.
    waytruthlife

Answer by waytruthlife at 9:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• "everything may be perfect in your life and yet still have a void? And you keep asking your self why do i still feel empty? Jesus fills that void and i know for a fact that is true."

Go preach elsewhere.. No-one needs your Jesus propaganda Bullcrap!
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• No. I will not tell her about my past mistakes. Children who have parents who have done it are more likely to do it themselves. She is more likely to think "Mom did it and she turned out okay".. I want my children to never even know I smoked a cigarette. I will withhold this knowledge with the compassion and understanding and insight to help them if they do fall into the trap. YES I will be a 'hypocrite' and get them help.  As long as they are under my roof, and possibly past that.  I am very much aware about people and their addictions and what can and cannot be done.  Nothing good can come of telling them I used, unless maybe they do use and that's the only way to prove to them that I can relate.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I will do everything I can to stand in their way of doing drugs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2009