i dont know what to do

I am bout to lose my mind. My daughter is 13 months old. Her father and I split up and I moved in with my parents. She is always screaming her head off. I understand that she can't talk and express her feelings that well but she can say done no and whatnot. She will not she will scream and throw her self down on the ground. She rather hurt her self. I have tried to say no or be mean but it breaks my heart and she doens't listen. How do I fix this? IDK what to do and I don't want my child to be spoiled and act like this.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 8:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you ever pray for your child? When I notice my child acting horrible I pray for him and it really seems to work. Pray for her attitude. She's too young to really do anything else, you could also try time outs, just put her in her crib for a couple minutes. Don't yell at her cause it will make the situation worse, speak to her calmly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Well, you have to find a way to communicate with her. Even for now if she's just pointing. When she starts to lose control, bring her back down. Explain to her you are getting her sippy, etc. Stay calm as hard as it may be, take a deep breath and set Your frustration aside. If she progresses to a tantrum, sometimes you just have to let her fizzle out. Move her to a carpeted area and sit nearby to make sure she doesn't get near furniture or anything to hurt herself. When she's done, hug her and tell her you love her and begin again where you left off. Under no circumstances are you to give in and give her what she wants just because she is screaming yelling and stressing you out. It helps for you to be consistent, so if you don't want her hollering for cookies all the time, don't give her any except special special ocassions. They are learning boundaries and if you aren't clear, it's confusing and upsetting for them.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Also if you can get her on a regular schedule it really helps so you both know what is coming next. You can prepare her for the next step a.k.a. nap lunch dinner bath bed. This helped us immensely she knows bed is after bath or at 730, and she's ready to go-no arguing, and she's 2! :) We've been doing the same routine since she was about 5months.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I've had others tell me that baby sign language is a great way to help babies/toddlers learn to communicate. My son knows a few that he's picked up from his ECI coordinator. I admit I don't work heavily on it w/ him cause he's in daycare for most of the day, but if you have the time to spend on it, it might work out for you.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 12:47 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Teach her the signs for simple everyday things she might want. Some might be "more, eat, drink, cookie, help, cracker, etc. Go to google and type in "signing everyday words with babies". You will get many sights to learn the signs.

Also consider that given you situation with your husband, being a single mom and moving in with your parents may be causing you much stress. Your daughter may be feeling your stress also. She realizes that something is different and that mommy may be acting different also.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:34 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I had the same issue with our boy, who now is 21 months. He's very difficult when he's frustrated. Sign language helped for More, Food and All Done.
    I also found that when he was mad, I would look at him and say "MAD MAD MAD" to let him know I knew what he was feeling.

If he continued, I walked away from him and told him he can come get me when he's happy. I sometimes would put him in his room, on his bed, with the door open. Told him he could come out when he's happy. If he comes out and he's still crying, I just put him back in his room.

Takes about 2-3 times before he'll come back out not crying. I also have tried distractions... get him outside, which he LOVES. Tickle his belly and throw up in the air.

Good luck. I honestly am having a hard time this week too with this. My husband is away on business and I'm snappy at my 5 year old because my 21 month old is doing the same stuff!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• OH! and at that age, is she teething maybe? Give some tablets or orajel. feel in her mouth to see if you can feel any teeth coming in.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2009