i dont know what to do

I am bout to lose my mind. My daughter is 13 months old. Her father and I split up and I moved in with my parents. She is always screaming her head off. I understand that she can't talk and express her feelings that well but she can say done no and whatnot. She will not she will scream and throw her self down on the ground. She rather hurt her self. I have tried to say no or be mean but it breaks my heart and she doens't listen. How do I fix this? IDK what to do and I don't want my child to be spoiled and act like this.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 8:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Part of it is the age and part of it is the house hold change. My son is 19mo and he Screams all the time!! I know how you feel but its just hard b/c they are still babies and dont understand. My husband and I just try to ignore our lil boy when he screams sometimes that will work and sometimes it doesnt...Its just a rough age! Goo luck
    Mamaof2boys1802

Answer by Mamaof2boys1802 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Okay...please don't just ignore her. You have to teach her that it is a no, no to scream like that. She is old enough to understand no when you tell her no. Raise your voice and tell her no. You have to show her who is boss!!!
    Jem0582

Answer by Jem0582 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I would put my son in his crib for a few minutes when he would do that. Now, if he does it, I say "do you want to go to bed?" and he stops. Just be consistent and she should learn.
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 10:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• She's not spoiled. It is just the age. Welcome to the "terrible two's" ... it's not fun! I'll try to hug and comfort my 14-month old son, and see if I can fix it. If he continues, I just ignore him and walk around him, resume whatever it was that I was doing. As long as he is clearly not hurt, hungry, or in any sort of distress. His tantrums are usually because I'm not doing what he wants me to do, or he can't have something that he wants. They are more frequent when he is tired as well. Is your DD sleeping well at night, and taking her naps? If my son screams for more than 10-15 minutes, I put him in his crib with a comfort item (blanket, stuffed animal, binky, whatever) and leave him alone until he settles himself down. Teething can be a factor, too. If that's the case, tylenol or motrin may help, but not right away.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 10:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Try ignoring her tantrum and running the vacuum cleaner. I'm not sure why it works, but it helped keep me from getting too frustrated at my kids and seemed to calm them down too. If you don't have a vacuum try a noisy air purifier, humidifier or loud(as loud as the child) music. I have a set of Classical Disney music that I love because I can use it anywhere (home, the car, the iPod) unlike the vacuum.
    GotteAClue

Answer by GotteAClue at 10:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i'm starting to realize that when my 13 mo old starts screeching, he's actually trying to tell me something. so i think if u just tell them no, then ur not realizing that they're really trying to communicate. now i look at the clock to see if it's time to eat or check his diaper, see if he's thirsty, or just wants a few minutes of my time. i've also noticed that he really loves patty cake and if he's crying from frustration or tired, i just look at him and say "patty cake" ,and he smiles and claps and comes up to me to do it a few more times.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 11:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I agree with some of the ladies on here. Give warnings to stop and if he or she doesn't then ignor! It's hard to ignor my four year old still tries this when we say no. Best medicine is to talk use your words cause even if he or she isn't able to talk back he or she understands what your saying. A child isn't dumb they do like to test us parents. Yelling doesn't fix ANYTHING I lived in a house full of yelling and all I was was resentful. Teach and lead by example!!! Yelling teaches kids its okay to yell back and raise their voice besides using calm voices and talking calmly is going to get through during those tantrums. It works for my kids.
    jennifer8585

Answer by jennifer8585 at 11:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• "Okay...please don't just ignore her. You have to teach her that it is a no, no to scream like that. She is old enough to understand no when you tell her no. Raise your voice and tell her no. You have to show her who is boss!!!"

They throw tantrums more often than not to get your attention, telling her no or yelling at them just gives them the attention they want and therefor causes them to throw even more tantrums when they can't get their way. Ignoring the tantrum and then talking to the child once they have stopped screaming is much more effective then trying to intervene in the middle of a tantrum.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• maybe instead of ignoring your child or telling them no,give some attention. how would u feel if u couldn't talk n when u tried, all u got was ignored or told to be quiet? it only takes a min or 2 to make a child feel more secure.if she's yelling she's obviously upset or trying to say something. it's possible she's screaming because she's not getting enough interaction with you.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 10:17 AM on Aug. 18, 2009