Any BF mothers out there?

I am strictly bfing and my son got two teeth when he was 4 months, made it a little uncomfortable but I got through it, now he just cut another tooth and I think he is trying to cut a few more but he is BITING my nipple!! it hurts so bad, what do you suggest I do to get him to stop? Is there anything I can do? I tried telling him no but he just looks at me and smiles...I dont think he really knows what no means so i feel like I'm just getting nowhere... lol

tracys_75

Asked by tracys_75 at 9:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always 'flicked" mine with my fingers when they bit me. It hurt them enough that they were startled and would pull off. I also told them NO when I did it. My 1st and 3rd learned with just a couple times, my second needed reminded often!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• blow gently on their face for a second, it startles them with out pain
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• When he bites, immediately pull him off and say NO, not loudly but firmly. It may take a couple of tries, but he will learn.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I pat my little one's leg and say NO. Now (he's 9 months), when he bites that end his nursing session.

Answer by missanc at 9:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• A quick flick to the cheek, to unlatch. A stern "No!" And then resume nursing. 3 of 4 of my children took about 4 "lessons" and an occasional reminder. The other required a reminder every time she teethed. All of my children drew blood once. A firm stern initial warning leads to much less biting. Don't be afraid, this should not hurt them only startle them enough to make them let go!
    GotteAClue

Answer by GotteAClue at 10:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• my baby is 5 months and no teeth yet... but thanks for the pointers..LOL
    Brookes_Mommy

Answer by Brookes_Mommy at 10:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• a baby cannot bite unless they are not properly latched on... so if they are actually hungry, they WILL be properly latched on.

so, at their age especially, they are learning that they can get reactions from you by doing certain things (think baby smiling at their family so they get a nice happy face back) and part of this is when baby realizes they can get you to have such an exciting new reaction (saying ouch, jumping, yelling out etc) when they bite.

so, considering these things, i would say 'no' in a firm voice and put baby down. soon they learn that biting is going to get a reaction they dont like, and if they begin playing at the breast, take them off and play a game with them-try feeding them in a few minutes, they might not be hungry enough to have a proper feed, but still want to have some snuggly quality time with you.

they do grow out of this !
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 10:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• i said no and took him off at the same time. if he did it again, i immediately said no and took him off. they do kinda think it's funny though
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 10:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The women at our local LLL said to PULL the baby into your breast and make it so they can't breath long enough for them to let go and then sit them down and end the nursing session. I did this the first time my oldest bit and he never bit again. The second did it a couple times, but after 3-4 times of doing this she never did it again either.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:33 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• That's funny, my sons (both my middle and now my youngest) latched on properly, but still bit. They would pull back just enough to do so. If I'm not paying good enough attention (I DO have two other kids), the baby will sometimes bite. What I've found helps is to swab his gums with oragel right before feeding. I'm very careful to use just a dab and make sure I don't get it on his tongue (or he won't nurse). If he bites me more than once, I know he's just sucking to suck and I'll put him down. He usually gets mad and once he settles, I'll rub his gums. I've heard over and over that nursing sometimes acts as an anelgesic (sp?). So, if your son is fussing and wanting to nurse off-schedule, it's probably because he's hurting and wants comfort. Do what you can to relieve him before putting him to the breast and THEN nurse him. And pay very close attention so he can't 'catch' you by surprise.
    zqqkeeper

Answer by zqqkeeper at 11:11 AM on Aug. 18, 2009