Why do people implant 6 to 8 embryos in their bodies, if they know that their babies for sure will be pre term and have tons of problems?

It was hard to walk through a NICU and see all those sick sick babies. What they show on TV is not what it's really like. Not all of them make it and it's heart wrenching to see a child forced to breathe! If others knew what it was like to feel like you were drowning 24/7 and have your airways forced open at all times would they reconsider? Not to mention, high risks of rsv, cerebal palsy, blindness, immunity issues, bone deficiencies, developmental issues. If you knew you would have a child with all these issues would you still willfully and intentionally create it?
For those who want to argue it.....find me a set of more than twins that weren't preemies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• im not going to argue with you. i think the reason it is done that way, is because the more embryos that are put in, makes the chance of fertilization higher. it is so expensive to do it, some people only have that one chance.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Isn't there a guideline as to how many embryos are allowed to be implanted? I'm not saying it is always followed. Yes more than one are implanted at a time( usually around 2-3) but that is because some embryos tend not to make it.
    I think there are more underlying issues regarding the person who does implant several embryos at once.
    For the record, Not all babies in NICU are results of multiple IVF's. A single child conceived naturally can have health problems as well. (I'm sure you realize this).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• The people that have these procedures have a hard time getting pregnant on their own and it is necessary to use that many embryos because most of the time not all of them take. Usually 1-3 take but is some cases all of them take. This can cost $5000.00 + to have done and some only have one shot.

I only know this because I had to deal with the choice of fertility options a few years ago and decided it wasn't for me and that I would wait until my body was ready to have a natural conception even if it took longer than implanting babies.

The clinics do inform the patients of the risks involved and the risk of multiple births. That is the choice they made for whatever reason they chose to do so. I'm guessing that no one thought they would all implant....The clinics here implant 5 embryos at a time
    orkibe3

Answer by orkibe3 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Yes, I know they aren't Kristi. Two of my children were in the nicu. I'm just referring to the idea that if you know your children would suffer would you still have them because YOU wanted them. This is what I am trying to understand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Well Orkibe, most who opt for IVF do have issues with getting pregnant. However, others may not have a spouse or significant other to conceive children with. If I am understanding this post correctly it is more along the lines of those who do not have a SO and wish to have children and go "overboard" with the implantations.(I think we all know to whom is being referred).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• People implant that many embryos to increase their chances of one "sticking" in the uterus. For some, none of the will develop and will have to try again. And not all twin or multiple births have developmental problems.

Here's a link to a set of twins born full-term:
    http://www.storknet.com/stories/lillianbenjamin.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Really for those people, they aren't even thinking of the kids but rather their own wants and selfish reasonings. They don't look at what the result might be. They are only interested in the "Instant Gratification" of having kids.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• They almost always put multiple embryos in. There is more likely a chance for 1 to be fertilized. But they normally have a limit on how many they will put in.
    NickyJamesMom

Answer by NickyJamesMom at 9:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Hello anon! Did you read the post? I was not referring to twins....I was referring to people who get a ton of babies implanted. I know of many full term twins. Thats not what we are talking about.
    I'm talking about these shows on the discovery channel where they have 5 or 6 and they are all ill and sick. I don't need to be schooled thank you. I'm pretty sure I have my facts straight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• For you to understand choosing to have IVF and implanting multiples....would you still go through the pregnancy/birth of you knew your child inside of you would be "suffering" with problems after birth? Children are a blessing...God's gift to you. No baby is perfect and no one can predict what type of health your child/children will be once born despite the odds and percentages the doctor(s) give you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2009