My dh's coworker just recently found out that their 6-yr old daughter is highly allergic to peanuts and soy. The parents are beside themselves, apparently there's little that they can feed her with out her reacting to it. Does anyone else deal with this? How did you find a soy-free, peanut-free diet?

They are concerned for their daughter, and can't even go to fast food places.

merryheart

Asked by merryheart at 11:16 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• We use extreme caution and whenever we go out, I take back up food for my son. He can't have milk, soy, gluten, carrots, sweet potatoes or fish, and possibly eggs. (We haven't trialed peanuts yet.) So, we keep a 3oz can of chicken and a 4oz can of fruit with us at all times. That way, there's ALWAYS something safe for our son to eat.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 11:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• apparently, peanuts contain trace amounts of a poison and are relatively easily avoided. from what i've read about soy, the problem with allergies appear only in the case of non-organic soy, because of hybridization and genetic modification. it's the same with wheat. i was allergic to wheat when i was young, but now eat organic and have no problems. my mom was allergic to milk before she drank organic milk.
    donnaRainwater

Answer by donnaRainwater at 11:28 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Oh, also tell your husband to tell them to purchase The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook: 200 Gourmet & Homestyle Recipes for the Food Allergic Family. It is devoid of the top 8 allergens: dairy, egg, wheat, soy, peanut, tree nut, fish and shellfish. It is available at Barnes & Noble.
    Also, have them check out www.allergygrocer.com as far as finding alternatives, especially for soy. Kroger and Food Lion have good all natural sections with allergen free products. These are my 2 favorite supermarkets when it comes to shopping for DS.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 11:30 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

This isn't entirely true. We've used all organic and my son still reacts to everything, including milk and soy. I'm glad its the case for you, but in the case of severe allergies, it is safer to avoid it all together.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 11:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2008