Do you think it is appropriate for teachers to give extra credit points in exchange for...

supplies donated for classroom use?

This is at the high school level. Many teachers offer points for items like packs of pens, pencils, highlighters, paper, etc.

Julie411me

Asked by Julie411me at 9:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I remember my older kids getting extra credit for taking food for the community food pantry. I never really thought about it until you asked. It probably isn't fair to the kids who can't afford to buy things. But I've found that lots of things in life aren't fair.

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 12:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• They also give extra credit for participating in fundraisers. It is what it is..

Answer by rkoloms at 9:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• To an extent, I think it's a great idea.
    NickyJamesMom

Answer by NickyJamesMom at 9:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• good idea
    yes, and i'm sure there is a limit (even if she didn't announce it to the class)
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• to an extent but what about parents who can't afford extra supplies. why should their kids suffer?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I find it a bit disturbing. It is like buying grades. The children who can't afford to buy the extra supplies lose out on the chance for some grade increases.

Answer by Bmat at 9:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I don't think extra credit should be given for that. If extra credit is going to be given it should be for their academic work.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• what are the kids learning from having their parents buy pens for the classroom?? Extra credit is wonderful as long as the child is still learning something and earning that extra credit
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 9:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Doesn't sound like something deserving of extra credit on grades. Just because you donate supplies doesn't mean you should get an A in the class if you really deserve a B.
    Is it that hard to get donated supplies, that they have to award extra credit? And are the high school level kids that needy? hmmm.
    Sandy1220

Answer by Sandy1220 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Extra credit is only that.. Just 'extra' so what? It's no big deal! It isn't like they are passing kids just because they can't afford to bring stuff in. One extra point on the grade isn't going to make THAT big of a deal. So why such the big deal over it? Especially it being high school.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2009