about bfing and my soon to be 1 year old

My dd turns 1 this sept and ive been bfing usually at night and when she takes a nap. about 4 times a day more or less. I plan on continuing till she is ready to give it up which doesnt feel like long since shes drinking less and less bm. Nutritionally do I even have to give her cows milk at all(not a fan of it myself)? And what do you think I should be feeding her to replace what she what shes missing with bm? Btw she eats whatever we give her and i havent had any problems as far as picky eating so im open to any suggestions.

crystaleve29

Asked by crystaleve29 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No you don't HAVE to give her cow's milk. I don't like milk myself either, but I did/do encourage my children to drink it - it's good for them and it's the only beverage other than water that they serve with public school lunches. But, other than milk - she just needs calcium rich foods like yogurt, cheese, broccoli, etc.

Answer by missanc at 10:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I breastfed until my daughter self-weaned at 23 months. She is almost 14 and has never had a glass of cow milk. Certainly give her a sippy cup with water, and make sure that she is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc. Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 10:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I would give her whole milk...just because you don't like it doesn't mean she won't. Unless there are other reason to the milk thing? You can choose other calcium rich options like yogurt to supplement. My older two kids loved milk but my 16mos old does not...I do still BF in the AM but she loves yogurt, cheese, yogurt drinks so I basically supplement with those for her. She will drink milk just sips though here and there. I want her to drink milk though but she has other plans! LOL
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:18 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• You can give her Almond Milk, or Rice Milk. Cow's milk is not a necessity.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:00 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• rkoloms, Do you give your daughter vitamins? Where does she get vitamin D?

OP-unless your 1 y/o eats a substantial amount of cheese, yogurt, and broccoli DAILY as well as getting a Vitamin D supplement (because without Vit. D, the body can't absorb calcium) then whole milk is a better option. Until your chid is 2 y/o, they also need the high milk fat of the milk for BRAIN development. Her brain is still growing and it NEEDS the milk fat from whole milk, not 2% or low-fat. Perhaps you could voice your concerns to your doctor, and see what alternatives there are if you are insistent about not giving her cow's milk.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:36 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• No she does not need milk. She can get fat and nutrients from other sources. There is also no need for supplements as long as she is eating a well balanced, varied diet of table foods. They can get the "fat for brain development" from other sources as well.

It's not like "milk" is a separate food group! It's IN the dairy group. As long as she gets the recommended servings from ANY source of dairy she's fine.

If you so decide to try her on milk, 2% is just fine, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I just had this conversation with my doctor because my son turned 12 months on the 3rd of August. My doctor told me that it's more important to focus on a balanced and varied diet than it is to push any one thing. He said that for his dairy I can give him cheese, which is basically dehydrated milk, or yogurt and it would be fine. He said in this country it's more common to see problems from too much dairy than not enough (such as constipation, anemia, and in extreme cases obesity).

And to the poster who asked about vitamin D, you get that from exposure to the sunlight. The reason why people are deficient in vitamin D is because we are so worried about sunburn and skin cancer that we lube up in too much sunblock and stay out of the sun. Let your kid get a moderate amount of sun exposure and there's your vitamin D! Best part: sunlight is free!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:37 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If you continue nursing 4x a day then she wont need any cow's milk or milk replacer. If you don't give cow's milk, and stop nursing, she'll need to add something. Hemp milk is the best alternative out there. It had the fats and protein that kids need under 2. Rice milk is fortified water. Don't get me wrong, I drink rice milk, and I cook with it(we're allergic to dairy over here) but my daughter will not have it as her main "milk" ever. If you decide to go the rice milk route, you need to make sure she's getting enough fat and protein. I'd go see a registered dietitian. Doctors aren't trained in nutrition, so they're not a good resource. An RD will be able to help you make sure that your child is getting the best nutrition possible.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Wow i got alot of good answers. Ill see with her ped. Thanks for all your recomendations.
    crystaleve29

Answer by crystaleve29 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• the fist year breast milk should be about 90-100% of her diet and after the age of one you can just give her as balanced of a diet as she will eat! With that extra breast milk 4 times a day She will have all the nutrition she needs to help fill in the gaps. And if you want to start cows milk you can now that she is one but you don't have too! Whole milk is the best cows milk for a a child age 1 - 2 so If you start most doctors recommend whole cows milk for that age!
    Mom_to_Lincoln

Answer by Mom_to_Lincoln at 12:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2009