How does someone get treatment for alcoholism without insurance or money?

My brother is an alcoholic. He has no job, my mom just kicked him out for stealing from him, he has no training, nothing. We want to help him but know that anything we do will be a waste as long as he is an alcoholic. Is there any places that will help him without costing a fortune? We are willing to pay a bit if we can get him help but we are not exactly rich ourselves? Any other ideas of how to help him without enabling him? I have no idea how to handle this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Health

• We have been through this. Go through human services in your county. The state has detox programs and there is always AA. Those are free. But if he needs to dry out see what the county has to offer.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• yup, do research in your area, there's tons of free places
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Steff107 took the words right out of my mouth. First of all he needs to get his butt in a chair at a AA meeting and you can get the # in your phone book and feel free to go with him and he needs to raise his hand and get the word out that he wants to go to rehab and get clean. GL to him and your Family.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• He is not drinking right now simply because he has no money to do so! Every where I have looked online says they accept ins and private pay. I guess I will call the social service agency for rehab and see what they say. Has anyone ever done an intervention? I don't think he accepts that he is an alcoholic. Thanks ya'll for your help!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• teen challenge.
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 12:13 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• He is 28.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• no its just the name it has nothing to do with age at all. they have a website, u can loo t up. its a great place for alcohoics and any type of drg abuse. my dad went and my mom went- but hes was differnt.
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• interventios are usually bad becuse unless the person i ready it wont do no god. alcoholism is a disease and a tough one at that. have him read about cirrosis of the liver and watch a few vidoes of real ppl who went through it because of drinkng...my dad died of it and it was a slow nd painful death, something very unreal, it migt make him think twice.best luck
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 6:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2009