Why is it automatically assumed that just because you're on section 8, you're a dirty, unkept drug dealer?

Doesn't anyone ever consider the fact that the person on section 8 in simply LOW INCOME? Are all low-income people drug dealers or dirty and unkept? Of course not! Couldn't it possible that some people on section 8 are disabled (like myself), and only have disability as a source of income?

I look on craigslist a lot for apartments, and most of them say "no section 8". Why? I think it's because the landlords don't want "those low income people" occupying one of their units. The unit I currently live in is well-kept and clean. I've lived here for 6 years and have never had a problem with roaches or rats, and other stuff like that.

How do you feel? I guess this is turning more into a rant, but I'm just frustrated because I want to move to a bigger apartment before the snowfall (I live in the northeast usa).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• When a landlord has a property that they will receive section 8 for it has to be inspected. Some landlords probably just dont want the hassle of having to fix all the problems they might find.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It's probably because they used to accept section 8 and someone ruined for everyone on section 8. The one time they allowed section 8, that person was dirty and unkept, etc.
    Good Luck on finding a bigger apartment. I'm looking for one too, but I'm not on section 8, just a single mom doing it on my own with an infant.
    So, Good Luck again.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I don't get section 8 and i don't think of people on section 8 as drug dealer or dirty and unkept at all. I have friends that are on it and they are good people and clean and they work and live a normal life like any other person in this world would.

Just keep looking and something will come up for you and your family just keep at it and stay positive. GL

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I do understand why people look at that way who are Section 8. I know a lot of people who do a lot of drugs and all that while collecting everything they can from the government. I also know those few people that really do need it. I was recieving food stamps when I was younger and I can honestly admit that I was one of those losers that abused the system. I was just a dumb teenage stoners. In my opinion, all people who are requestion assistance from the government for any reasonshould have to provide a drug test first! It's rediculous that just because there are many lazy ass people out there that want to do nothing that those who need assistance for real reasons have to suffer by recieving less or even getting denied. Don't be ashamed that you need help. EVERYONE does every once in awhile. Especially those who are disabled. You should be cut a break. Screw everyone else!
    girlsmomma06

Answer by girlsmomma06 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• try posting an ad saying you need section 8, describing yourself as a good tenant. then the landlords interested may find you. some probably see it as reliable rent payments
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 11:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• It's not as much the ppl as it is the landlords don't like dealing with govt agencies. I've been on S-8 for years. Like you, I'm disabled. I live in a great condo on the waterfront and have been here for years. Nothing dirty here and I'm well educated. Personally I think it's ignorance that makes ppl think stupid things. Don't let it get to ya.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I live out in so cal and there are a few decent apartments where I live that do take section 8 but the waiting list is like years long.
    cmtjenn

Answer by cmtjenn at 11:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I won't rent to those with Section 8. Part of it is dealing with government agencies most of it is I don't like dealing with most people that are on Section 8. I did rent to those with Section 8 for about 10 years 15 different section 8 tenants were dealing drugs from the rental. One blew up a house I owned he was running a meth lab. Insurance doesn't pay for that it was a total loss and I just simply lost a property. I could sue the guy he doesn't have anything reason he was trying to run a meth lab.

I got rid of all my low income area properties. Bulldozed the buildings and sold the land for development. Made a lot more money than renting them. I only deal in high end rentals. Never been burned by someone paying 5k in rent. They usually take care of themselves and my houses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I don't think all people on Section 8 are any of those things. But the fact is some are. And there are many horror stories about people who have ruined properties who happened to be on section 8. It is more work to prepare a house or unit for section 8. And ther is a stigma attached to places that accept section 8. I have heard people say they don't want to live in a place that accepts section 8. So some people are trying to attract a certain group of people. No different then a apartment complex who only accepts section 8. Or has a income restriction.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:21 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• OP

Well in the apartment complex where I live, 3-4 of us are on Section 8, and we're not dirty people who use drugs. The landlord is fabulous and would never stereotype us. I agree with teynlisa. With section 8, a landlord has a hardher time being a slumlord, because they know HUD holds them to a high standard when it comes to their properties. Why should they waste their time having to make sure an apartment is up-to-code and isn't in a deplorable state, when they can find someone not on section 8 who'll take the apartment "as is"?

As I said before, section 8 is for people who are low income. I know lots of low income people. Most are NOT on section 8. They are damn good people. Having money doesn't make you a better person (or a better tenant).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2009