Should someone say something to my mother in law?

She has 6 grand children 3 by us 3 by my husbands brother and his wife. They are all the same sex and age. boys are 4. girls are 2. another set of girls that are not quite a year. everytime we sit down for dinner made by my mother in law, my son takes one look at the food I know he wont eat and ask for a banana or something else. sometimes he will eat something on the plate but not other things, but mostly he turns his nose up. his cousin a boy and the same age will push the food around on his plate and not take one bite. But becasue my son just snubs the food from the moment we sit down till the end of supper we are on egg shells. my mother in law whispers and says aloud things like .. you should make him sit at the table till he eats every bite. He shouldnt be aloud to do anything all day till he eats that food. she never, however says anything to my nephew who also doesnt take a bite.. but plays with his food.

CrystalSiglar

Asked by CrystalSiglar at 11:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just quit eating at her house, problem solved.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Why is he turning his nose up at her food? Does she cook weird food, or is he really picky? Either way, I'd be offended if someone snubbed it before they even tried it. Have you explained to her that he's tried that and doesn't like it? Then maybe she won't cook it again. Plus, she's probably so busy watching your son she doesn't see that your nephew hasn't really eaten his food, just pushed it around. But rather than have this situation go on, I'd try to get at why he's not eating Gramma's food (I personally avoid like the plague anything my Granny has cooked) and talk to her about the reasons and maybe having some more kid friendly items in the meal. Because if you leave it, it's going to be something that down the line will end up being a huge deal.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I'd just point out to her what your rules are and that you go by your rules no matter where you eat. Then I'd very plainly ask your SIL how she handles it since her son isn't eating either.

Or...like PP said, just don't eat there (but I know that's not always possible)! MIL's can be such a pain!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• ugh mother in law problems! they will never go away and usually saying something just makes it worse. but try cooking dinner at your house and invite her ,of course you will have to act like she is the guest of honor thats just the way they are! but cook food thats actually edible to your son and when she sees him eating maybe she will get the picture and it will be a lil silent slap in the face to!
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 11:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2009