Is it bad to let my baby watch tv?

My son saw Yo Gabba Gabba one day and has loved it since. We clicked on the t.v. and it was on and he freaked(in a good way), that was when he was around 9 months. He will be 1 next week and every time he is throwing a fit I say "look your show is on" and he looks and calms down. He just stares and dances to their songs. Is it horrible for me to let him watch that?

It is the only time he watches the tv, and I don't just sit him there alone I interact w/ him while we are watching it. ( I like to watch that guy make a fool of himself on tv)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Aug. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no as long as your not just sittin your baby in front of the tv all day and doing your own thing .... dont worry about it a little bit is ok ... my daughter loves the dell commerical where they sing the lollipop song no matter what she is doing if it comes on she will stop and watch it. If its appealing to him let him explore it just dont over do it.
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 11:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• As long as you don't use a TV for a babysitter your child will be fine. To much TV can cause problems later on, as it has this has been proven. I.E. ADD,ADHD are both found to be present in children that watch excessive amounts of TV.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• as long as it's for a while not a long time, not all day long. nice weather, interest him in park, catch, rolling a ball, blocks. also try a cd with music for him to just have fun dancing too without tv. can he play infront of a window, if he's not, to lookoutside alot and just do stuff like talk to the outside in baby babble? He's not going to be hurt forever seeing it half and hour a day or an hour split duirng the the day. just don't let it the tv be baby's babsitter. he sounds SO cute momma!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• its fine. and it would be fine if you werent interacting with him while he watches it too. i think too many moms think they need to be up their babys ass 24/7...thats not the case. everyone like a little tv now and then.
    emilsmama

Answer by emilsmama at 11:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My dd watches the Golden Girls with me every day. She doesn't even like cartoons. I see no problem with it. It's not as if she's sitting in front of it all day long.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I agree 100% with emilsmama. Couldn't have said it better myself. My son does a wide range of activities, and watching Yo gabba gabba and Blue's clues is one of them. He sings and dances along with it and it allows me to get stuff done, or just relax for a few. I have no problem with him watching tv.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:04 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• That's about the same time my son became interested in the television. As long as you aren't just leaving him in front of it for hours at a time, it's fine. :)
    jessnpaulie1014

Answer by jessnpaulie1014 at 5:34 AM on Aug. 18, 2009