Does anyone recommend reading Baby Wise by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam?

My husband and I heard this is an excellent reference for getting your baby to sleep through the night.

kosimom

Asked by kosimom at 12:03 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No I personally don't recommend it. We tried it based on all these people who said it works great and it did nothing for us. My baby was not down with that 3 hr. schedule. What I hated about it was that he says that babies won't cry for longer than 10-20 mins, which was def. not true of my baby as a newborn. S he would cry for hours if I let her. Plus, try getting a newborn on a schedule-- ha! That doesn't happen for months. Some people say it works but I think those people probably have babies who would sleep through the night anyway. We did CIo and it's worked. My baby started sleeping through at 5 mos.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:08 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• The methods in Babywise are linked to failure to thrive. And frankly, babies sleep longer when THEY are ready despite what we do, not because of it. (In fact, I think we parents make it harder because we try to get them to sleep! It backfires!)

The American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't often take a stand against books,,,but it DOES recommend avoiding Babywise because of the Failure to Thrive issue.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:25 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• No. I recommend burning it though. I'm seconding everything gdiamante said.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• nooo totally don't recommend it. Research the author Ezzo. He doesn't have any medical expertise at all. He's in RELIGION, not pediatrics. And his two grown daughters don't talk to him. To me that speaks volumes about how "baby wise" HE was!
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 2:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• NOOOOOOOO! Stay as far away from that book as possible!
    I recommend anything by the Sears family, personally!
    lifescholar

Answer by lifescholar at 12:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2009