What's wrong with Harry Potter?

Harry Potter has magic in it yes, but it's not real. I know the argument that the christian community has for it is that it has magic in it. I used to be a practising witch, spells are more like prayers. Not saying allakazham with a twig in your hand an stuff happening. So if the magic in it isn't real why is it so harmful?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is true... we do watch HP in my house and my daughter owns the books... however I respect my parents thoughts and do not allow my dd to take these things to their home... when she did take a book there in her backpack after school I drove 22 miles to go and get it because I know it offended my parents...

Like I told my parents I know that wizardry is not ok and goes against how I was raised however I am old enough to watch something and not go running out and practice it. I feel my dd is old enough to know what is right and what is wrong and after we watched the 1st movie we talked about what she had just seen and what she thought about it. I have no fear that my daughter will practice magic because of a movie. With that said... I know some kids got curious after the movie and went a lil gung ho with magic and wanted to be wizards and practice magic...so it is up to the parents I guess what their children watch and do..
    orkibe3

Answer by orkibe3 at 3:00 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• what ive heard from those types is that it makes a "bad" thing (magic) look like fun which will corrupt children's souls. those ppl are afraid their children will think its so cool that they will become a witch or warlock. also, many of them think all magic is a form of evil & the devil's doing.

but i dont understand it either.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:41 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I'm a Christian and I think you trying to say the Christian community is against fictional characters in movies is pretty much the same as me saying that all pagans go alacazaam and ride a broom stick. It is ridiculous. Of course there are going to be a few wing bats out there who make a big deal out of a movie but trust me the majority of Christians understand that it is fiction and not real in the same way all of us sane Christians don't believe that Peter Pan and Wendy are flying around in Neverland. IMHO If you don't like a movies theme then don't let your children see it and move on with your life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• evil Evil EVil EVIl EVIL

Anonymous

• beats the hell out of me! My mother is one of those wack job religious people who say magic is bad and evil and I'm like its not real and she's like yes it is. I ask how do you know? and you know what? she can't answer that question. Some religious people are droons. They can't help but follow and never look into something for their own.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 12:44 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• anon 41 Don't read it, Don't read it, don't read it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It teaches and influences children mostly,teens and adults about magic,that's it's o.k.,fun and powerful.The story does prove that being a wizard is hard and frustrating at times and that he comes across evil that wants to destroy him,but that gives the impression that wizards aren't evil,from the Christian perspective they are and anyone who refuses to live by the laws of the Bible and that goes for so called Christians,who say they love God but live in sin they too are condemned.But God loved us so much He sent down Jesus Christ to die for our sins so that we can live clean and honorable lives that are pleasing to God.A witch or wizard lives for himself and his witchcraft book and that's not what God said to do.I love people in darkness and so does God,we love the sinner but hate the sin.Most people get into witchcraft and watch these movies for fun and adventure but they are influencing themselves to do evil.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Its just a question, not a sermon.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• shhDon't feed the twolls. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Try this image next time

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NPeIdlHaoaQ/SeCmhTMnhwI/AAAAAAAAEUc/23TxkpRrTo4/s200/elmer.jpg

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:09 AM on Aug. 18, 2009